Replacing trailer hubs

I am looking to replace the trailer hubs on my 2001 Tracker Trailstar 185 Pro trailer.

I pulled the hub and bearings. Bearings looked OK, but inside the hub, I felt some pitting. Not on the race, but it was an area that was smooth in parts and pitted in others. Thought I'd change the hub, since I don't know if/when the prior owner ever changed them.

The hub is an H-1377, 5 bolt pattern, 4.5"
    Tires are 13"

My trailer says maximum load carrying capacity is 2,150 pounds and GVWR is 2,700 pounds.

When I search for the H-1377 hub, I see them available for 3,500 pounds and for 2,000 pounds, but nothing specifically for 2,150 pounds.

My question - am I supposed to be able to find an exact match (2,150 pounds) or do I use the closest rated hub (2,000 pounds) or the next highest size (3,500 pounds)?

Thanks,

Keith

2. Member
    If the race and bearings are good, I wouldn’t worry, just repack them and put them back together. Pits in other areas of the hub dont matter.
    I have an equipment trailer that has hubs and bearings in it that are over 30 years old and a lot more miles than any of my boat trailers ever had on them. Just repack them regularly.

3. Member
    From cros referencing, it looks like that hub is a 3.5k. There is also an H-1377x2 that is a 4.2k, we can probably safely assume it's not that one. If you want to be sure, the inner and outer bearings should be 1 3/8" and 1 1/16" on a 3.5k axle, respectively.

4. Member
    As long as the bearings and races are free of pits and rust, there is no need to change the hub. Unless you feel the pitting is so bad that it’s affecting the structural integrity of the hub. Even if there is pitting on the race, just knock the race out and replace it.

5. Member
    Most hubs are cast, the only smooth part is what has been machined to hold the bearing race, and seal.

6. Member
    Thanks - I'm going to just replace the bearings and races. Looking carefully, the area with some pitting is not a contact area where the bearings or races sit. The bearings and races look fine, but I am going to replace those to be sure.

Be sure to replace the inner and outer seals with new ones. NEVER re-use the seals.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents