Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

work related hygene

Bathing thread got me thinking about the other end of the stick for what occurs from lack of bathing or having a job that pushes the bodies hygene to its limits.

Mike Rowe has nothing on some of the jobs I did over the years.

Grew up in a home with 7 kids and 2 adults. No shower. If you didnt take a bath at night you lost out unless you wanted to get up early and wake the old man up which wasnt a good idea. My first real job in HS was in a Seafood Restaurant. You stunk like fish after working a 6 hour shift. I couldnt even imagine what the other kids in school thought about me the days I worked late and couldnt bathe. Might have something to do with my issues getting on dates. A couple of us hitch hiked a ride to a bar after work one night. A guy we knew picked us up. We sat in the back and he had his girl friend in the front. After about 15 minutes thay couldnt take it anymore and rolled the windows down. We got the best spot at the bar by bellying up in a pair and the patrons made room by finding another spot to avoid the fish smell.

Painted a massive gymnasium addition at a private school when I worked doing commercial painting. We had to lay on a plank between two scaffolds that were 18 feet up. We sanded the rust spots every inch of structural steel in the ceiling over an area the size of two regulation basketball courts. Six weeks 7 days per week ten hours a day sanding red lead primer and touching up the spots we sanded. No ear plugs. Nothing but a dust mask with a white cloth over it and a white bandana from the same cloth type. I came home from work and my first apartment I shared with my wife and daughter had no shower. I took 3 baths consecutively to get all the pigment out of my skin every night. I volunteered for that assignment so I could get overtime pay for Christmas.

I worked in a shop as a welder fabricator for 4 years. I built vacuum furnaces. The shell of the oven was my assignment. It was like a 5 foot wide 8 foot high cylinder beer can. I would spend weeks in there welding, cutting with a torch and plasma cutting. Then I would work the assembly of all the components to a finish product including the insulation and heat shield panels which I would fabricate. The shop provided us with a blue heavy cotton uniform. They used so much starch on the pants I would get a half inch groove in my crotch that would wear raw. You could put your finger into the groove as if it was cut with a grinding wheel. After a week it would start to smell like rancid hamburg. I eventually got an industrial strength salve from my doctor that would heal the wound up in a matter of a couple days. I would save my sick time and mental health days to go sit in my canoe for the time it took. Then I would repeat the process. After a couple years the insurance company refused to pay for my script for that product. The stuff they gave me to replace it was useless. Didnt exactly improve my love life. This was another volunteer job that I took. I was a finish carpenter by trade. The welding job offered steady work with full benefits. My daughter was reaching the age for college and I needed the job to along with my wife foot the tuition. After the 4 years she opted to hold off school and my wife opted to be done with my ass which prompted a divorce. She was going to tag me to the income at the weld shop for child support on my youngest daughter. About that period I was suffering from severe asthma from the work conditions. The tearing down of the rehab furnaces required breaking down carbon fiber materials that had seen heat over 2000 degrees for 30 years. The dust and fibers were worst than asbestos. I cut my own throat and quit the job before the divorce proceedings. I worked my way back into stair building so I didnt screw my health completely and I also afforded the divorce settlement.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 05-05-2024 at 05:47 PM.

2. Member
    Way too much information.. and for what purpose I simply still don't have a clue

3. Member
    You do want ya gotta do, sounds like yours was a ruff haul.

4. #FRB
    I've always worked where things can get really steamy in the warmer months. Go in smelling good and walk out smelling like a wild animal. No AC in the back where I do receiving type stuff with deliveries.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weiglein4 View Post
    Way too much information.. and for what purpose I simply still don't have a clue

Just lamenting. Going through a 5 year spell where I have been to too many funerals and not enough births or weddings. Most recent funeral was a good neighbor last week. I am down to 3 good friends. One is 87 and has COPD, one just divorced to chase a 21 stripper and the third is my ex who has a serious heart failure condition that is wearing on my 2 daughters. Coming up on 19 years sober and feeling the strain from losing out on the 15 years since a back injury that has cost me over a million in lost wages. Staring at the road in front of me and no real retirement till dirt nap time. Was thinking of stopping club tournaments after 33 years but after hearing the directors wife died a month ago I am ponying up the funds to fish another season. Growing old aint for sissies and other than that life is good and I am still sober.

6. Member
    Hey. Those jobs sucked. I'm old and I remember not having a shower in the houses growing up. Bathtub yes. Good story, I guess you wanted to express yourself and you did. You don't stink.

7. Member
    You had it easy. Me? Huh, I used to be a test pilot for the gas company, a loafer in the bakery, shoveled sh!t against the tide with a teaspoon and that was BEFORE school ...
    Proverbs 28:1

8. Member
    Is the topic workplace hygiene? I can tell you my FIL's favorite story. He ran a manufacturing facility in MA for a stretch. One of his employees was known to be the town bike. During the summer months, she decided to wear a mini skirt while going commando. I can tell you one thing, no one ever stole her seat!

Eventually, they remedied the situation with some awkward conversations but it was a tricky legal path since they didn't have a dress code, etc.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

I've always been told to put yer stank on every now and again. No bath, shower, shave...just shat. The emollients and natural moisturizers treat the skin and hair well and cleans up better when the product is a little grimy.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

10. Member
    I worked for the largest concrete company in MS years ago. There was a mechanic in the shop who would come to work stinking so bad it would make you gag. The shop foreman said that guy was allergic to soaps so all he bathed off with was plain water. This guy would stand next to one of the big shop fans and everyone downwind of that fan had to move. I watched him picking scabs on his arm with his pocket knife then slice a tomato he'd brought for lunch with that knife. He ALWAYS asked if anyone wanted a slice of fresh tomato.

Can't understand what nobody took him up on his generosity.
    Hi Mike.

11. Member
    Have you ever considered writing a country music song? The lyrics are somewhere in your op.

We are exposed to so much dangerous and harmful stuff that I pretty well expect to pay dearly for it at some point. I take all the precautions I can but it's part of the job.

13. Member
    Worked construction for lot of years. Have to shower after work.

I work in printing and the amount of different smells with ink and chemicals , I go home smelling like chemicals.

15. Member
    I go home everyday smelling like gunpowder or bore cleaner.
    Hi Mike.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    I worked for the largest concrete company in MS years ago. There was a mechanic in the shop who would come to work stinking so bad it would make you gag. The shop foreman said that guy was allergic to soaps so all he bathed off with was plain water. This guy would stand next to one of the big shop fans and everyone downwind of that fan had to move. I watched him picking scabs on his arm with his pocket knife then slice a tomato he'd brought for lunch with that knife. He ALWAYS asked if anyone wanted a slice of fresh tomato.

Can't understand what nobody took him up on his generosity.
    Have you ever worked with Amish/former Amish? They (most?) don't believe in deo and hot water is a chore to make
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Have you ever worked with Amish/former Amish? They (most?) don't believe in deo and hot water is a chore to make
    I have not worked with the Amish lol. I know the Mennonite are similar to Amish but are a little less pungent than the Amish . My wife used to buy the bread and pies the Mennonite would make and the lady that brought them around to sell was always clean and well dressed.
    Hi Mike.

18. Member
    Speaking of hygiene. We used to have a guy that farted in the sales meeting. Is that considered bad hygiene?

Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    Speaking of hygiene. We used to have a guy that farted in the sales meeting. Is that considered bad hygiene?
    I think that’s just rude. Nothing to do with hygiene. Everyone farts.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I think that’s just rude. Nothing to do with hygiene. Everyone farts.
    We'd blow up if we didn't.
    Hi Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast