Yamaha Sho trim gauge

Instead of hassling with the dealer I'd rather try and fix it myself. My issue is. The motor when completely titled down sfill shows 1/4 on the trim gauge instead of on the bottom peg. When the motor is tilted up it pegs out at 3/4 of the trim cycle but the motor still has plenty of room to still tilt up. So my trim gauge is 1/4 higher then the actual motor.

How can I fix this? New boat BTW I just don't want to take it to the dealer if I can fix it in less time

2. Member
    Have you any idea which model SHO that you have?

Typically there is a trim sending adjustment at the motor which can be adjusted with a phillips screwdriver. Essentially you would trim all the way down, then loosen the screw, adjust the sending clamp by hand (basically spin it up/down) until the gauge matches the position and the re-tighten the screw. Then it *should* be mostly correct throughout the gauge range. Normally located at the front of the motor above the steering/below the cowling. There's a thread on it with pics if you search back, but it's pretty strait-forward.

All that being said, the trim adjustment in general is not super accurate and has been known to wander, so it's not a set it and forget it kind of thing - if you notice the guage wander off again later you just have to re-adjust again.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Have you any idea which model SHO that you have?
    90 SHO on a 18XD Avid

5. Member
    Thank you 78staff. I looked on YouTube but did not find this video.

Exact problem I'm having.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NW.Ind.Basser View Post
    90 SHO on a 18XD Avid
    VF90LA, VF90XA, VF90LB or VF90XB?

Is the data plate missing from your motor? Is there nothing in your paperwork that describes what you bought and what was sold to you?

7. Member
    VF90LA, VF90XA, VF90LB or VF90XB?

Is the data plate missing from your motor? Is there nothing in your paperwork that describes what you bought and what was sold to you?
    Settle down there tiger. The video fixed my problem. BTW LB and XB aren't even SHO motors so it's not them. The other 2 LA and XA have the same fix
    Last edited by NW.Ind.Basser; 05-03-2024 at 05:51 PM.

8. Member
    Motor Models Matter.

V denotes VMAX. F denotes four stroke. 90 denotes the HP.

bbcode image

9. Member
    Typing a V, F, L or X and A or B can be hard work.

10. Member
    Typing a V, F, L or X and A or B can be hard work.

You're butt hurt over me not answering your question to your satisfaction? It's all good Karen. Typical BBC snowflake. Another member understood the issue perfectly and helped. Move along my boy.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NW.Ind.Basser View Post
    You're butt hurt over me not answering your question to your satisfaction? It's all good Karen. Typical BBC snowflake. Another member understood the issue perfectly and helped. Move along my boy.
    You asked a question, yam911 was asking for info to help you. He helps a lot of people on here. A fantastic resource. You may have a hard time getting help with your attitude next time on something technical.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    You asked a question, yam911 was asking for info to help you. He helps a lot of people on here. A fantastic resource. You may have a hard time getting help with your attitude next time on something technical.
    That maybe the case and Im sure he is a valuable resource here. But I interpreted his reply exactly how he meant it to be taken and replied as such.

13. Member
    There are none so blind as those that refuse to see.

Send them to school. Buy them their books. They eat the pages.