Anyone towing with a Ford Transit 3/4 or 1 ton?

I have a Ranger 620 (5000#) I am trying to get real life experience from anyone that might be towing with a transit commercial van which would then do a camper conversion.

The van has a 6500# tow rating but I am concerned about traction on the ramp and overall braking. I would get the AWD version with the 3.5L ecoboost which I already have with my current 2016 F150.
    Thanks, Mike

2. Member
    With the ecoboost and AWD I would not expect any problems with traction or braking. I have not pulled with a transit but have driven a few in the 12/15 passenger setups. All had the stock NA 3.5 and it showed, the 3.5 ecoboost does much better I'm sure (have it in our 2021 Expy and had a 2014 F150, both with the 3.5 eco). I would check load ratings since you plan to due a camper conversion, I'd go to the 1-ton for the extra margin, not sure if it gets larger brakes over the 250.

3. Member
    thanks caddelma, it gets me closer to a decision.

4. Member
    I've been pulling my z7 this year with a Pontiac Montana, while not equivalent to the transit I will tell you I know I'm going to have issues pulling out at some ramps this year without awd. AWD is a must in my opinion.