Thread: Lake O advice

Lake O advice

I am heading down to Lake Okeechobee this weekend (May 4 - 5, 2024) to boat captain for the Florida Teen Sportsman Association statewide fishing tournament. I’ve never been on the lake before. We will be putting in at the north end at the Okeetantee ramp.

I have heard a lot about people hitting stuff in the lake and that you can quickly find yourself in shallow rocky bottom. My plan is to stay within about 15 miles from the ramp and I presume we’re going to be fishing the west side. What do I need to know to avoid hitting something? My primary concern is safety and of course, I don’t want to tear up my boat.
    Last edited by shall36; 05-02-2024 at 01:18 PM.

If your going to Indian prairie make sure you get off plane a ways out, has rocks near the entrance. If your going to the shoal or monkey box area let her rip. I usually cruise about 1/2 mile from shore. Lake is a little above 14ft, which I am comfortable running. https://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/currentLL.shtml

You can also run the inside airboat trails, but that takes a little experience.
    Good luck.
    Edit: I don't know what boat you have, but a jackplate helps. Or you can run a prop with a lower pitch to help you jump up on plane.
    Last edited by cwilt; 05-02-2024 at 09:42 PM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!