Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why no 150hp rated boats anymore.

Other than Bass Cat no one makes a 17.5-18' 150 hp rated boat anymore, why is that? They used to be very common 20 years ago. I know most pros prefer a larger boat but I believe a smaller 150 hp rated boat would sell well with the regular consumers. Yes I know there are several 18'6"-18'9" boats available that you can get with a 150, but a 150 is really too small for that size boat. They could easily offer the smaller models of quite a few brands that are only rated for a 115hp with a 150hp considering most are the same size or slightly bigger than the boats we had in the 80s and 90s with 150s on them.

2. Member
    The phoenix 818 stock comes with a 150hp I believe. I upgraded to the 175
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. #FRB
    Well, if you think about it 85hp was common on a glass rig because that's what the pros ran and it only went up from there. These days I'd love to hear what boat dealers have to say about that slot in their boat sales. Seems 150hp and below they want to put you in a tin rig. I had a dealer tell me one time that he normally only carries the bigger boats with 200hp and up because they cost nearly as much as the little boats but I'm thinking he's referring more to his cost and the profit wasn't there with the little boats. Then you have companies that are putting a 115 on a hull that should really have a 150 or 175 on it...I'm looking in your direction Phoenix, Caymas, and Triton.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

skeeter makes a zx 150 18'6

5. Member
    They just aren't fast enough for the BBC crowd!

It’s not what people want to buy, simple as that. Bass Cat has talked about it several times. The volume of 18 footers they sell is insignificant to the bigger models.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    The phoenix 818 stock comes with a 150hp I believe. I upgraded to the 175
    Yes, thats what I am talking about, several companies offer boats with 150s but those boats are actually too big for a 150. I wouldn't want that boat with a 150 on it, however you can flash it to a 200 since it's a Yamaha.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Loco View Post
    skeeter makes a zx 150 18'6
    Yes, and that boat is much larger than the ones that used to have 150s on them, compare that to a 90s model ZX150, Ranger 361v or Nitro 180 TF, the new one is really too big for a 150, but again it being a Yamaha you can flash it to a 200.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 05-02-2024 at 06:16 PM.

9. Member
    I am not a bigger is better guy but for me the phoenix 818 is too wide for a 150 4s

my prior boat was the phoenix 618 w 150 2s and that was similar to my wider model w bigger motor
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Member
    I think that I found a Skeeter that is in that size range, although I find the beam on newer boats to be wider that I want for parking in the garage and trolling my thru stumps for crappie. As for speed my old Skeeter with a 150 from 1985 still does 55-60 depending on who is with me, how loaded, and if I’m using the front livewell, and this is fast enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    They just aren't fast enough for the BBC crowd!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Member
    If they would be big sellers, they be more options for them. Theres a reason they’re not making a ton of them. How you gonna get 6 graphs on a 17.5 boat? Lol

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    What people deem is a must have is what the market will have. The current trend is if you don't have 20Ft with 250HP, spot lock trolling motor, shallow water anchors, FFS and a minimum of 4- 10" graphs you can't be competitive...and I don't mean competitive in tournaments I mean against the fish. Same thing with trucks. If its not a quad cab 4x4 the buyer is not interested. I could give multiple more examples of how the mass public has drove up the price just as much as the manufacture's.

The cost of construction is very high and the cost of the engine, troller and engine parts is too high a percentage of the rigs cost. Aluminum construction costs are more controlled by various aspects of their design and assembly, thus they are more efficient in costs. As a result of the price tag aluminum has eaten into the glass boat market.

Another factor is the regulation change of Bassmaster and then Operation Bass (FLW/MLF), as Bassmaster was restricted to a 150 until 1996. The slide of 17’ and 18’ glass boats happened after that. Operation Bass was 225 maximum HP until the change to 250 by Bassmaster. Boats also were getting larger in that era, as the advent of anglers using 20’ and 21’ boats began in the mid 1990’s.

When Bassmaster switched to 250 maximum, we were already 80% 175 and 200 horsepower on our market. The Jaguar came in at the 1996 model year, when Bassmaster switched the horsepower rating.

Todays slide is shifting to the 19’ glass bass boat market and 200 engines. This can be noticed by the development of new 19’ and 20’ aluminum boats.

For reasons of heat, performance, stability, sound and rough water ability, we do not see the same impact on the 19’ market that the 18’ market underwent with aluminum. While aluminum will gain some anglers, fiberglass will still hold on significantly as most 19’ models with 200 HP run very well and can manage rougher water.

BCB

We do think developments of products, other than fiberglass, will break a new market open as new chemicals and new techniques emerge.

BCB

16. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    What people deem is a must have is what the market will have. The current trend is if you don't have 20Ft with 250HP, spot lock trolling motor, shallow water anchors, FFS and a minimum of 4- 10" graphs you can't be competitive...and I don't mean competitive in tournaments I mean against the fish. Same thing with trucks. If its not a quad cab 4x4 the buyer is not interested. I could give multiple more examples of how the mass public has drove up the price just as much as the manufacture's.
    LOL I drive a single cab short bed work truck with the HEMI that isn't white. Even back in 2018 finding what I wanted was like finding a real unicorn. Could have driven 25 miles or less in any direction and found a 4 door HEMI for probably about the same price. I've had to tell car salesmen to stop wasting MY time showing me the upper trim levels because I wasn't interested but from the looks of it most people want a big 4 door truck with an itty bitty bed and an interior with more doodads and buttwipers than they'll probably ever figure out how to use.

You're spot on about boats too. I could go back to a pair of 7" graphs on the boat and still be at least ALMOST as successful as I was before I drank the koolaid. It really gets comical when someone says they NEED that boat with a 250 so they can win a couple hundred dollars at the weekday derby. I laugh my ass off when I hear a tournament was won by a couple guys in a beat up old boat with a motor that has only two numbers on the cowling and MAYBE a couple old entry level depth finders on it. The biggest ass whoopin a friend of mine ever gave in a tournament was back around 2000 in highschool when he weighed in a 35 pound bag of 5 fish. He was in an Alweld with a 40hp and pulling it with a '77 Ford F-100. Those boys never let him fish against them againThey thought they were just gonna have some extra money to divide up and got whooped by a teenager.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

17. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We do think developments of products, other than fiberglass, will break a new market open as new chemicals and new techniques emerge.

BCB
    Lithium batteries giving a boat a reasonable range at a reasonable speed?
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

18. Member
    If I had better water nearby, and a 2-boat-budget, I would get that little Bobcat in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

BCB
    Not sure what exactly that means but glad to see something is changing.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

20. Member
    If you do a deep dive on bass boat production data, you’ll find that those companies sell way fewer rigs rated for 200-225 hp compared to 250+ hp. A dealer told me last year that 20-22 foot bass boats are considered “tournament rigs,” and that’s where most of the demand lies, partly for [perceived] competitive reasons and partly just for appearance’s sake.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast