Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    .. in 5yrs all our current graphs will be obsolete. .
    Same as it ever was....but as I got old, I find myself liking the old technology. I just bought some Penn conventionals that are older than my kids. Am using them on party boats out of Port Canaveral. They are heavy and slow like me but they do draw some attention from folks who like the old school stuff.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    he said its only effective 10%, he uses side scan for the other times. Sounds like its still got a solid place in his boat.
    Yea I think that was one of the points Wheeler was trying to make how little he used that setup vs what the cost was!

3. Member
    I’ll wait gif Gerald to tell me to remove it from my boat.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    Any hacks out yet to turn sidescan into forward facing? Just bought the sidescan last year and have not used it.
    Yep, it is called 360 Mega from Humminbird :)
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

5. Member
    My guess would be ,lowrance, hb and garmin are all working on a live tranceducer made for the back.. in 5yrs all our current graphs will be obsolete. Technology is moving faster then ever.
    I really don't think the fish finder technology moves all that fast. A garmin 1222 that was debuted in 2018, lowrance carbons in 2016 and humminbird helix units introduced around 2018 still work with the latest and greatest transducers and receive current software updates. They could be way worse about it, you see it in other software companies.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Honestly don’t see the point in live on the transom. Everything is instant and you’ll be past a brush pile or fish before you even realize it. You can’t see the past few seconds either.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Honestly don’t see the point in live on the transom. Everything is instant and you’ll be past a brush pile or fish before you even realize it. You can’t see the past few seconds either.
    That's where I'm at with it too. For guys that fish for a living and don't want to get out of their seat to scan under a dock real quick, I get it. But for 99% of us fishing, hopping out and getting on the trolling motor is no big deal. Hell, I know most of us spend way to much time in practice fishing vs actually looking anyways
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Member
    My guess would be ,lowrance, hb and garmin are all working on a live tranceducer made for the back.. in 5yrs all our current graphs will be obsolete. Technology is moving faster then ever.
    This is spot on. This month's Bassmaster magazine has an editorial about all the technology that is now commonplace and how everyone stated it would never become mainstream and they would not use it. There are a lot of naysayers on this thread, but there will be some type of live sonar for the transom in the next few years, and it will be as common place on new boats, as the bow live sonar currently is. The only thing that will stop the progression of the technology is the companies throwing in the towel, or legislation banning a certain level of technology to where R&D is no longer profitable.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    That’s what side scan is?????
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

Garmin has a LVS34 transducer mount for the transom that I used for trolling with the transducer pointing back. Shows fish better than downscan but didn't show small lures very well, and not much at all at any distance. I changed the LVS34 to a LVS62 and it is incredible for trolling. I had to modify the mount with spacers because the 64 is 3/4" wider than the 32 and they don't have a transom mount for the 64. I posted pics in the Garmin forum for those that may be interested.
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

Matthew 7:7- Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    I just saw a video that Wheeler released on FB where he has two live transducers on his jackplate and using them like you would sidescan. That got me thinking that traditional sidescan and downscan are basically becoming obsolete. Imagine all the information that FFS provides and being able to sit in the cockpit and scan.

Should the sonar companies start producing FFS only units with just mapping and 2d for the console?
    If that happens how you gonna justify putting 7 units on your boat to look cool?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Nah. Honestly live transducers transom mounted are pretty limited, especially with them have no way of storing history.
    Only a matter of time before the units are updated to a looping feature saving a few minutes of live where you can rewind and play it back while also having the gps information tied in so you can click and waypoint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12