Gas tank take up line

Is it possible to remove the take up line from the gas tank on my year 2000 201D cobra? I need to see if there is debris clogging up the fuel delivery system. I'm thinking maybe there is some sort of screen in the fuel uptake line which needs to be cleaned????

2. Member
    If you remove the seats, you should find access to the fuel lines. Probably 3 6” holes where you can reach thru.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

3. Member
    Yeah I looked and there is a large nut below the t fitting which fuel delivery hose is attached. Very hard to get a wrench in there to losses. Was wondering if the t fitting can be unscrewed or do I first need to loosen the large nut. Either way I think they are torqued on very tightly and I fear if I try to unscrew either one it will crack the plastic gas tank

4. Member
    Did you try blowing compressed air into the line to clear it?
    Is your inline primer bulb collapsing from the fuel pump suction?
    What problems are you having with your fuel?

5. Member
    Never tried blowing compressed air through the uptake line and will try. My fuel bulb never collapses and will remain hard after initial priming for the whole day while fishing. I have a 1999 200 hp optimax which stalls intermittently when I increase throttle from idle to plane and so I'm wondering if the problem might be due to uptake line getting clogged and unclogged intermittently. However a boat shop owner told me if the primer bulb stays hard then this can't be the problem since a hard bulb means the vst has sufficient fuel to get up to plane and he thinks it is a high pressure fuel pump in the vst issue

6. Member
    You might could try running it on a portable gas tank, to eliminate the issue with your fuel tank/lines. It might be wise to check the inside of your fuel line for separation. I’d cut an inch or so of your line and split it open, if you can spare it.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spotfin View Post
    Never tried blowing compressed air through the uptake line and will try. My fuel bulb never collapses and will remain hard after initial priming for the whole day while fishing. I have a 1999 200 hp optimax which stalls intermittently when I increase throttle from idle to plane and so I'm wondering if the problem might be due to uptake line getting clogged and unclogged intermittently. However a boat shop owner told me if the primer bulb stays hard then this can't be the problem since a hard bulb means the vst has sufficient fuel to get up to plane and he thinks it is a high pressure fuel pump in the vst issue
    The shop is right about the vst having fuel or it would collapse the bulb keeping it that way when the engine stalled. I would post the motor issue on the Mercury motor boards since you have the best minds there to help you. Regardless, have you replaced the fuel line with ethanol resistant line from tank to motor? if not, you definitely should.

Replace your fuel lines, even the ethanol resistant lines degrade over time. Fought this issue with an EFI, never considered the lines because I had replaced them a couple of years earlier. Finally took it to a mechanic thinking I had all kinds of electronic issues causing intermitant running. He replaced the lines and not even the ones from the tank to the bilge area, just the line that was exposed to the sun. Ran perfect after that! The demand for gas at full throttle was causing the liner within the line to collapse starving the engine of fuel. Be sure to replace your fuel filter as well. Try that before you start pulling things apart around the gas tank.