Just a courious question on Winterizing

Just a quick question for you all on Winterizing.
    Our new camper is already winterized by the dealer. So i dont have to do it untill next year. Just Dewinterize this year which after watching a ton of You Tube vids on it I think im ok on that part.
    What I was wondering is My nephew who has a big 5th wheel and has had it for quite a few years was talking about just blowing all the water out with Air pressure. I know you can buy a fitting the screws into the City Water fitting and hook it to like 40lbs of compressed air and blow the lines out instead of using the pink antifreeze.
    Do any of you all do the air thing over the antifreeze?

I never tried just doing the air. I always do both. I can’t talk myself into just blowing them out. I blow them out then I run the antifreeze through. Most likely since they all seem to use PEX or equivalent now a days the air would probably work fine but always to afraid to not do the antifreeze. It’s cheap insurance. The fitting that goes into the city water supply does work good.

3. Member
    Lucky enough to be able to store our 5th wheel inside but, I have used air to blow out all of our waterlines on our houseboat for the past 5 years. All waterlines are pex. I used to pump the pink stuff into the lines but hated the smell after flushing out in the spring. The smell seam to linger forever. Had yet to have a problem using the air compressor.
    2018 21 PHX/Verado 250 Pro

4. Member
    I have friends that blow them out and never had an issue. I have always used antifreeze and call it good. never an issue in 20 years

5. Member
    I do both. I only do 20 psi of air. I have a small 19 ft but I only use 1 1/2 gallon of antifreeze.

6. Member
    Blow and antifreeze. When blowing use an oil free compressor. An oil compressor can contaminate the system.

7. Banned
    that is all I have ever done. This is my third RV, no problems. I only use my RV in Oct-Nov-Dec. I keep my air compressor in RV and when temperatures fall into the teens, I will drain everything and blow the lines out. I do the same at end of deer season. I think Grand Design recommends no more than 40 psi. I set my air compressor at 35 psi. I do pour antifreeze in traps and put some in holding tanks.

I am new to the RV. But I did both. Blew out the lines and then Anti-freeze. Not worth taking a chance, when less than $50, is a lot less than any repairs that could be caused by frozen lines or equipment.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

9. Banned
    Good friend that is on hunting lease has NEVER winterized his RV. I guess he opens low point water drains. He has had no issues. I would never do this or recommend.

I’ve done the air blowout every year and zero troubles. Only way I’d ever do it.

11. Member
    Depends on how cold it gets. I just drain everything. But rarely gets below 20 Never a issue In many years

12. Member
    Always open low point drain . By pass water heater and drain . blow out , then suck just enough anti freeze to see it in the clear plastic screen cap on the pump .
    Pour a little into each drain to fill p trap and a little in toilet to keep seal wet .
    Use to just blow out , but after a few cracked screen caps and pump problems this seems to work best for me .
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

13. Member
    Blow out, antifreeze in the drains to fill the traps, open low points. Super easy and in MN for 15 years with rv's works perfect. Dont forget to empty the water heater I usually just pull the anode, leave out till spring.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

14. Member
    On the last trip home before winterizing, I open the low points, water tank, water heater, and faucets to get a better drain. Don't forget the shower hose and head. I also blow out the system, but rarely get any water out because of the draining that occurs on the trip back. Then on to the pink stuff.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigzz4344 View Post
    I have friends that blow them out and never had an issue. I have always used antifreeze and call it good. never an issue in 20 years
    same here and we have RVing since 1990s.