Trying to switch to Multi-species - rod storage?

Looking at a variety of multi-species boats. Been in a bass boat all my life. Looking at the under 18' length. So far all the usual suspects have about the same layout on the side console models. All I have seen online have small rod lockers on one side or some on two sides. One, a Polar Kraft Frontier 165 SC has a floor locker but the boat is hard to find in my area.

I like to carry about at least six rods. I can manage with the storage, but it sure looks like a big compromise of how to store and quickly access them.

I know I can go to a larger boat and find it, but one of my objectives is to downsize to less than 18'.

Anyone know of a small multi-species model with decent rod storage?

2. Member
    my boat has a rod locker on each side one side is for my wife other is mine.
    I keep 6 rods in mine lots of room left over for more she keeps 3 and has lots of room left over.
    I would say I could put 10 in each side. My boat is 16' 9"

3. Member
    Found two with center rod storage. The Starcraft 166 SC and Crestliner 1650 Pro Tiller. Need to give the tiller option some more thought. I kinda like the idea.

Starcraft Storm 166 SC Pro-1.jpgCrestliner Pro Tiller 1650.jpg

4. Member
    My 1775 Lund impact has center rod rocker for 10 rods It also has a side rod locker I use for tackle storage. Lund also has the Pro Guide which is a tiller with similiar layout
    2004 Ranger 520 vs
    2004 Mercury 225 Optimax

5. Member
    Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT, 179 SC and 189 WT both have center rod lockers for 9 rods. Not sure about the 16 footers

https://www.polarkraft.com/frontier-series

6. Member
    My Lund 1675 Adventure has center storage for 10.

7. Member
    Warrior..20 rods easily. Tackle is in bags on the deck while fishing but can stowed for travel.

8. Member
    For an aluminum boat in the 16'-6" to 18' range, I would not go with a side console, but rather opt for a tiller. You will have a lot more space to move around without being inhibited by a console. Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner all make some fantastic tiller options with a center rod locker that will more than satisfy your requirements. I am sure Polarkraft and Starcraft do as well. If I remember correctly (was trying to search thru photos) Starcraft had a really intelligent tiller design in one of their latest models.

Alumacraft Competitor 175 (17' 8") has 8' rod storage in the bow.
    I've got the same boat from 2011, side console model. It only has 7' lockers. One of the very few things I dislike about the boat.
    The other is that most of the compartments are not waterproof. If you're used to dry storage in a bass boat and expect the same in multi species, check carefully.
    I can't speak to any boats other than mine, but when the boat gets drenched, it's a royal pain to empty all the storage and run fans for a couple days to dry it out.