Garmin echomap plus 93SV with Live Scope Bundle

I only need (want ) one unit. I am a casual fisherman10 - 15 times a year fishing for walleye (troling), and panfish. My lakes are primarily 20 ft or less, and I fish out of a 14ft aluminum boat, and always fishing from the rear of the boat. I currently have a lowrance hook2 9 with tripleshot primarily using maps, sidescan, sonar with downscan overlay. I am looking to upgrade my unit and have a 2,000.00 budget. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a hds9ive 3in1 unit when I noticed all the buzz about garmin livescope which seems very intriguing. My questions are:
    1. how effective is live scope in the weeds?
    2. will the livescope transducer interfere with regular sonar
    3. which do you believe would be better in the weeds livescope or fish reveal from lowrance?

The garmin unit I can get within my budget is the echomap plus 93 sv with a live scope bundle. If anyone has experience with the livescope in the weeds primarily fishging in water 5-15ft deep please respond.

Thanks panfish bob

2. Member
    1: Nothing out there compares to livescope for identifying fish on structure and EXACTLY how they relate to it.
    2: no.
    3: livescope hands down. You said you are a casual fisherman. Livescope is the easiest sonar to interpret out there.

A good side/down image is nice and all, but nowhere near as accurate as livescope.

3. Member
    SamMule, thanks for the response. Do you have any experience with livescope on the echomap plus 93SV on how clear this display is? I would use the sidescan and sonar to locate structure then switch to livescope to determine if any fish activity.

I have used the echomap plus for many years. The original Panotix wasn't that great but the new livescope is much better.
    I haven't used the Lowrance so I cannot comment on that. I love livescope! It truly is a game changer.
    You can see how the resolution works on this youtube video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpLFV1JK-xo
    Take your kid Fishing!
    http://mcbassin.webs.com/

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by panfishbob View Post
    SamMule, thanks for the response. Do you have any experience with livescope on the echomap plus 93SV on how clear this display is? I would use the sidescan and sonar to locate structure then switch to livescope to determine if any fish activity.
    I don't. I use the "cheap" LVS12 livescope on the ultra unit. Its really great, but only has a 30 degree cone.
    What you are describing is exactly how I use my LVS12, and it is very effective. The garmin Sidevu is not as "pretty" as say, HB mega, but it is much easier to use.
    The resolution on the plus units is only 800x600, but I don't think livescope is super high resolution either. Haven't compared the display on the ultra vs the plus to verify though.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    I don't. I use the "cheap" LVS12 livescope on the ultra unit. Its really great, but only has a 30 degree cone.
    What you are describing is exactly how I use my LVS12, and it is very effective. The garmin Sidevu is not as "pretty" as say, HB mega, but it is much easier to use.
    The resolution on the plus units is only 800x600, but I don't think livescope is super high resolution either. Haven't compared the display on the ultra vs the plus to verify though.
    Can you change the freq from 450 to 800 on the side view? I have seen conflicting information the side view freq.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    SamMule, you indicated you use the LVS12. Does it present a good picture on your ultra unit? what size is your ultra unit? can you look forward and then swith to down without having to change the transducer position? The lvs32 transducer has a 20 degree cone which sounds smaller than your 30 degree. Do you have another transducer plugged into your ultra unit? Lots of questions but there is a huge cost difference between the live scope options. Thanks.

8. Member
    I have the 106sv. The lvs12 is plenty clear. However, it does not cover as much area as the LVS32. There are some good posts on this forum. Showing the difference between the two. They are both 20 degrees wide. The lvs12 shoots two 30 degree front-back cones, while the LVS32 cone is 135 degrees front to back. The LVS12 does not require you to turn the transducer to switch between forward and down. You can actually view them both simultaneously, but there is a large dead space between the beams. LVS32 is better. The other transducer plugged into my ultra unit is the GT54, and I am very happy with it. Sidevu frequencies on the GT54 are 455kHz and 1120khz. The clearvu is 840khz.
    The echomap 93+ unit comes with the GT52 transducer. It has both 455 and 800khz for sidevu and clearvu.
    I think what you want is the. 93+ with GT52 and lvs32 livescope.

There are board sponsors here selling 93+ units packaged with the LVS32 livescope for around 2k.

9. Member
    SamMule do you know if the lvs32 requires you to actually rotate the transducer head to switch from forward to down view or if you can do it from just the head unit. It sounds like you and I about the same type of fisherman, for your fishing are you satisfied with the lvs12 or wish you had purchased the lvs32. I am thinking of waiting for the ultra 9 inch unit and then going with the lvs12 and believe it would be about 2k. What do you think?

10. Member
    Honestly, I like the lvs12, but wish I had the lvs32. The lvs12 works great for vertical jiggimg, but the dead spot on the forward view can be frustrating. When I was using it for casting last fall, I ended up turning the transducer down one click so I could see the fish and structure at the depth I was targeting.
    With the LVS32, you don't habe to do that. You will see the whole water column.
    You do have to rotate the transducer to change from forward to down on the LVS32, but even in forward mode, you can see directly below the transducer.

When you say ultra 9" unit, do you mean the echomap 93+ UHD?
    I'm not aware of an echomap ultra coming out in a 9" size.

The new echomap 93+ UHD units coming out look to be very close to the same as the current 93+ units, only with built-in UHD transducer compatability. They are not the same as the echomap Ultra series. I don't think they are LVS12 compatible either.
    To my knowledge, only the 8600 series and echomap Ultra 10 and 12's are LVS12 compatible.

If I was in your shoes, I would be all over one of those 93+ /w livescope packages.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ultra unit. I fish very deep, Often times 200+', and the high resolution really comes in handy.
    However, when I'm in shallower water and using the sidevu/livescope as described, it would be pretty handy to see the whole water column, and not just a 30 degree slice of it!

11. Member
    Sammule, I really appreciate your input. I have only heard that garmin will probably offer the ultra in a 9 inch uit this year. Also haveyo ever used the lvs12 with both the forward and down view at the same time and if so does that help with the 30 degree limitation? You fish much deeper than I do. All the lakes I fish are a max of 30ft deep, and I never look out further than 60 ft on my sidescan. Does this change your recommendation any?
    Last edited by panfishbob; 01-10-2020 at 08:01 AM.

12. Member
    Yes, I have used them both simultaneously. And no, it does not change my recommendation.
    You will be much happier with the LVS32.

13. Member
    sammule, ok I just bit the bullet and went with the 93+sv bundle brand new for 2k + tax. Thanks for the input.

14. Member
    Cool! I think you will be very happy with your choice. ::thumbsup::

15. Member
    SamMule, do I need to get the GLS 10 Black Box to use the LVS 12 with the EchoMAP Plus, or Ultra?
    Last edited by snapshotmd; 01-14-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by panfishbob View Post
    ........... If anyone has experience with the livescope in the weeds primarily fishging in water 5-15ft deep please respond.
    LVS in weeds and shallow is not that helpful.
    Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshotmd View Post
    SamMule, do I need to get the GLS 10 Black Box to use the LVS 12 with the EchoMAP Plus, or Ultra?
    The LVS12 is only compatible with the Echomap Ultra 10/12 inch units and GPSMap 8xxx units. However, it does not require the GLS10.

Quote Originally Posted by canon View Post
    LVS in weeds and shallow is not that helpful.
    Totally disagree. LiveScope is very useful in water < 10 feet deep with vegetation. Probably 50% of my use is in shallow vegetated water. Yes, fish themselves can hide in the vegetation and you won't see them. However, just being able to scan 80+ feet in front of you to see how grasslines are laid out, and to see isolated patches of grass or bare spots is very beneficial.
    Garmin Pro Team