Thread: Covid effects

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Covid effects

Not meant to be any sort of controversial thread or anything like that. Not meant to be an opinion thread. The "Have your tastes changed" thread got me thinking about mine.

I used to drink more than my share. Never sloppy or anything of the sort, but come home from work, and instead of a glass or water/tea/soda/etc, Id pour me a Captain and Sprite. If it was my weekend or night to have my daughter, I'd wait til she went back to her moms and have one after she left. Got Covid in August of 2021. Kept me feeling less than stellar for about two weeks. Once I felt better again, the desire/taste for alcohol as a whole went away. I'd try, and never could/would finish a drink. I went from a fifth every two weeks (half gallon or so a month), to maybe a quarter- half of a fifth since that point in time (almost 3 years), and a lot of that ended up getting poured out because I never finished it other than a sip or two. No real reason other than just don't want it, although looking back at myself then, it's kind of a shocker at how much I drank.

Anything change for the long term for anyone else?

I've had it twice, and although smell/taste went completely away the first time, and dulled the second time, it still hasn't come back fully after the second go'round.

2. Member
    Nothing, I've never gotten it even when everyone in my house has had it more than once. Nobody in the house seems to have any new food aversions since getting it either. One son lost his taste for about two days.

3. Member
    I have had it twice and it didn't effect my taste or smell. I still have no taste and I still stink.
    But seriously, I have had no lingering side effects. Both times I went on the anti-viral meds and I was vaccinated. No telling if any of that mattered.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

4. Member
    Got the vaccines. Never got Covid

5. Member
    The only effect that matters, is the damage to the world. Nothing economically or financially is close to being normal.

6. Member
    I lost my taste for about 6 mos. Lots of things still don't taste normal . Don't think they ever will come back.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

7. Member
    Got Covid last September and I lost my taste completely for about week. Even though it came back, currently it’s not near 100%. Everything just tastes blander than normal.

for me the lasting effect is just shortness of breath and I think it ramped up my asthma pretty bad.

a couple folks I know of had their tastes change going on a couple years now. One guy was doing the carnivore diet but red meat, especially hamburger, tastes spoiled to him now. Another girl can’t eat eggs (scrambled, omelette etc) for the same reason.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Glad I never got the Vac. Too many injuries and heart problems coming out now from the folks that did.

Also trust the government less.

That’s about it :)

9. Member
    Interesting...I know a very high percentage of folks got covid and had no symptoms and never even knew they had it. I had covid before it was headlines in the news....was in Florida on vacation and couldn't taste my grouper, which irritated the heck out of me. Thought it was just a common cold at the time.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

10. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I had covid before it was headlines in the news....was in Florida on vacation and couldn't taste my grouper, which irritated the heck out of me. Thought it was just a common cold at the time.
    Me too, the doctors said it was "some sort of pneumonia". I couldn't taste my scotch, and that lasted about 3 months. Mine was much more than common cold symptoms, I just laid on the couch for a week sleeping and staring at the ceiling hoping it would go away and let me live.

The other 3 times I've had it were much less severe.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

11. Member
    no lingering effects. Got it once and didn't effect my taste or smell. Just layed up for a couple days. Did not get vaccine. Just wanted to wait and see what long term affects were and I'm glad I did.

12. Member
    Got the vaccines and had it twice. Can’t say I have any long term effects. At least that I know about.

Never got covid, but my wife says I still have very poor taste except for her.

i think we overthink somethings, covid maybe stopped you from drinking for a period of time till u got over it, and the act of not drinking is prolly what changed you. I use to drink a 6 pack a week. Mostly on the weekends. After about 2010, i just stopped drinking as much. I believe i was trying to loose some weight and prolly stopped drinking during those periods. now a 12 pack last a whole year for me, unless we have friends over.

Had covid twice I think, never took the shot.
    Last edited by BMCD; 05-10-2024 at 08:34 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    i think we overthink somethings, covid maybe stopped you from drinking for a period of time till u got over it, and the act of not drinking is prolly what changed you. I use to drink a 6 pack a week. Mostly on the weekends. After about 2010, i just stopped drinking as much. I believe i was trying to loose some weight and prolly stopped drinking during those periods. now a 12 pack last a whole year for me, unless we have friends over.
    Possibly, but I used to love the smell and the taste, and now hate the taste and the smell isn't as alluring as it was. Could be correct about the fact that it stopped for 10 days...but believe me, I tried real hard to get back in the saddle to so speak lol

Quote Originally Posted by JustinNC View Post
    Possibly, but I used to love the smell and the taste, and now hate the taste and the smell isn't as alluring as it was. Could be correct about the fact that it stopped for 10 days...but believe me, I tried real hard to get back in the saddle to so speak lol
    Funny told my wife i needed a back story about my life, so in 2005 or so, i told her i was going to be a recovering alcoholic. 1st step drink every day and become an acholic. I failed on the 3rd day and gave up.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Had all the shots, got it last Christmas. Like a regular cold for a few days, only lingering affects has been shortness of breath and lingering cough. Food seemed very salty for awhile but back to normal now.
    Sheldon Linhart
    Excelsior Springs, MO
    1995 Dynatrak /Yamaha Pro V150

Had it at least twice verified through testing. Mild both times and zero noticeable affects.

19. Member
    Had it two weeks ago. Thought it was allergies. Wouldn't have known except wife had an old test squirreled away. I've now had it twice...that I know of.

20. Member
    Covid dulled my sense of taste... still.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast