Braid split rings?

Heard someone mentioning at the classic about getting there jerkbaits to be lighter and rise. By making split rings out of braid. Anyone know how to do this or have heard of it? Not sure who it was that commented about it.

2. Member
    ott defoe has a really good video on you tube about it. I've fished them on my big swimbaits and some spoons for a couple of years now. Ott talks about doing them on crank baits but for me it's all about trying to minimize leverage on heavier lures.

3. Member

Ott's Garage has a good one as well.

I've done it on topwaters, especially when I'm catching smallmouth. Blade baits, too. It helps with not losing fish as the hook can spin several times before it binds up which really stops the fish getting leverage to throw it. The downside is that it's not quick at all to change out hooks, and there's the weight difference for things like crankbaits and jerkbaits as the OP mentioned. Never thought of doing it to lighten up a bait though! That's a good idea!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    I've done this for years on topwaters and started last year on smaller cranks...it's great for both
    But yes, it takes time and patience.

6. Member
    Thanks for the information. Never thought about it quieting the bait and better hookups. Great video!