This filter is supposedly one of the culprits leading to failures of these 3.3 liter hpdi's. After changing mine at the recommended 100 hrs. (93 actual hrs.),I have a hard time believing that theory. The old one was absolutely spotless,but at $90 I wasn't going to place the new one on the shelf. And, I wasn't going to spend another $150 to have my dealer install one for the first time. So, I thought I'd take the time to show how I done mine,hopefully saving someone else a few $$ down the road.
Since this filter is inside the vapor canister (complete with an electric fuel pump),lets disconnect the battery before we start.
It can look a little intimidating when you first see all the hoses and wiring coming from the top,but we're only going to need to remove one of these. This would be the clear oil line at the top right hand side. We also need to remove 2 bolts holding the bracket for the small solenoid oil pump at the end of that clear hose.Now loosen the 3 mounting bolts,2 at the top and 1 beneath. Go ahead and remove the big stainless and rubber washers with the bolts,or you'll be looking for them inside the cowling later.
Now we can swing the tank out far enough to drain it,via the small brass plug at the bottom (makes good use of that ugly coffee mug you got for christmas). Next remove the 9 screws holding the canister together,and carefully separate the top from the tank. We don't want to tear the rubber gasket,if you forgot to order a new one (yeah, I forgot). There's a big float assembly inside,so easy does it when working the half's apart.
The fuel pump may come along with the tank,or it might stay with the lid. The yellow fuel filter is beneath the pump. It took me a little to figure out how to get the filter off,but it simply needs to twist counter clockwise before pulling it down and out. After twisting the new one in place,line the pump up and push it back into it's cavity under the lid. Two O-rings will hold it there,until the tank is back in place.
The rubber tank gasket will need to be stuck to the tank,before we can ever hope to re-install it. I used just enough RTV silicone in the grove to hold the gasket. Less than a drop will do the whole thing. We don't want any of this squishing out,plugging that high dollar filter. Wipe any excess off with a rag,before sliding the tank back into place.
I also replaced the racor filter while I was at it,then used the primer bulb to prime the system again. There is a valve-stem bleeder on top of the vapor canister,to release the air that the fuel is displacing. The float in the tank will stop you when it's full,causing the bulb to get hard.