Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    He wants to try replacing the switch and slide.. he notice some play in it and sometimes when I put the boat into gear it would stall. Thinks the switch maybe sending a message to the ecm and throwing the left bank.
    Last edited by Bowhunter/Ranger519vs; 08-05-2019 at 06:15 PM.

2. Member
    I know that I wrote about a lot of different things and tests we did. I just don’t know the correct verbiage to be less confusing to you. I apologize for that.. I do appreciate you taking the time to read my posts and trying to help though..

Don't throw parts at it by guessing, in the end you will spend less by getting a certified experienced tech to diagnose this ,,,,,, TEST DON'T GUESS
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    The mechanic that I have been talking about is a certified tech with 30 years experience....

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter/Ranger519vs View Post
    He wants to try replacing the switch and slide.. he notice some play in it and sometimes when I put the boat into gear it would stall. Thinks the switch maybe sending a message to the ecm and throwing the left bank.
    Disable the switch for testing purposes, sending an "in gear" signal. If that does not solve the problem, it's not the switch.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter/Ranger519vs View Post
    The mechanic that I have been talking about is a certified tech with 30 years experience....
    I am not impressed as Don stated above that is very easy to confirm if it is your problem

Don, is the ops motor one that will momentarily kill three cylinders when shifting
    Which three
    Does it do this by cutting fuel or ignition

Number five needs more input!
    Last edited by lpugh; 08-06-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would need to go pull a manual from the archives to double check that question, Leon. As I recall, it was timing (primarily) that was utilized when the shift switch signal changed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Changed a coil and plugs and she is running fine now, knock on wood!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12