Thread: Jacking boat up

Jacking boat up

I have a 2008 sv16. I think there might be a hole in the boat where it sits on the bunk. So I cannot see if there is. Is there a way to jack up that one side to see if there is a hole. I thought about taking a floor jack and putting a 4x4 on it and putting the 4x4 against the hull and jacking it up to inspect. My biggest question is would that hurt the hull of the boat?

2. Member
    Should work just fine.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sshorter View Post
    I have a 2008 sv16. I think there might be a hole in the boat where it sits on the bunk. So I cannot see if there is. Is there a way to jack up that one side to see if there is a hole. I thought about taking a floor jack and putting a 4x4 on it and putting the 4x4 against the hull and jacking it up to inspect. My biggest question is would that hurt the hull of the boat?
    Find where the best area with the most surface area is to Jack it from with the least Jack extension possible and still be able too lift it to get a look. Spread the weight on the biggest pieces of doubled up 3/4 or 5/8 or whatever you have plywood spanning/ protecting as big of and area on the hull as possible within reason, block up the Jack too meet the plywood,put something with some grip between the hull and the plywood if you think you need it or just a piece of carpet for protection. I wouldn't stand a 4×4 on end though.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 08-04-2019 at 04:04 PM.

4. Member
    Ok thanks for the info guys. I wasn't going to stand the 4x4 straight up I was going to lay it flat. So that's it's stretching across like a 6ft area. But I will probably do the plywood method.

Id jack it up with a block under the jackplate if it were mine

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Id jack it up with a block under the jackplate if it were mine
    Don't think that he has one. But if he does Still gotta get the length of the bunks off the length of the hull to get a good inspection so you most likely would have to support the bow of the boat to be thorough, Jackplate or not. Jacking from the side mostly should be no problem, depending on how many bunks but should give you a good look at the suspect areas
    Last edited by pa.X19; 08-04-2019 at 08:12 PM.

7. Member
    Thanks guys and it does not have a jack plate it only has a 50hp motor on it. Might not be the fastest but cranks Everytime. I will probably try it tomorrow when I'm off.