Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by piketroller View Post
    The boat brands that the poster put into his categories based on his perspective. Particularly putting Crestliner in the basement category with Tracker, and then Polar Kraft up a tier, along with his listed town being in the northern market where the focus on aluminum boats is more of the deep V multispecies layout while his choice for top tier clearly show he’s thinking like a southerner.

If I organized aluminum boats into three tiers, I’d have the bottom tier comprised of the Trackers, Lowes, and everything made in pontoon alley Indiana. These are all chasing an entry level price point. Some call it the value segment while others would call them el cheapos. Then the middle tier would be the top of the line but still mass market builders like Lund, Crestliner, and Alumacraft. Lund is to aluminum boats what Ranger is to the glass boat crowd. And then the top tier would be specialty boats like the heavy gauge aluminum boats from the Pacific Northwest, or the southern tanks like SeaArk. With these boats, you are giving up some creature comforts to get a lower frills or no frills nearly indestructible boat. Forget the argument for carpet vs. vinyl floors; the heavy gauge boasts just use diamond plate aluminum.

But if you get into specific segments instead the entire lineups, things can be skewed. When you compare a Tracker ProbTeam 175 to a Lund Renegade, you could call it a wash or even say the Tracker is better. The Renegade is a unique boat designed to be as cheap as possible and still float because Lund realized it’s hard to get a Pro Team 175 customer to spend three times as much on a Pro V Bass.
    There is virtually no difference in the way a Crestliner and Tracker are constructed...at least not the meat and potatoes of the hull. (layout of stringers, # of stringers, etc etc) Some small differences in hull design, but mostly built the same method.
    There is a difference in the way the PK, Excel, War Eagle, Xpress are built. PK torque box construction, Excel extruded heavy gauge stringers and more of them, Xpress hull design, etc etc etc.
    When you get into Weld-Craft, Gator Trax, Sea Ark, there is just no comparison at all. Heavier gauge alum all around, double keels, 2x as heavy extruded top rails.

I get this is the same Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument. Some of you could would argue a blue car is red in that regard.
    My point with the post was that, given the same price and market, all of the modern alum boats are pretty good for what they are. You cannot expect a Tracker to be a Sea Ark, because it is not a Sea Ark, but both are good boats for their markets. I spent weeks looking up info on boats and could not find a single thing from any reputable source (and Google/general internet reviews does not count as a reputable source IMO) that says anything different. (most of the reviews I read had nothing to do with the boat maker at all). There is nothing out there that says one is junk while another is great. Not a single thing (other than your opinion, which means little to anyone but you).
    Each have their issues (just like cars or any other manufactured items) but nothing that points to Tracker (or any other) being better than another in its same price range. (like whomever compared Lund to Tracker --- ummm ---when rigged out the same, they do not costs the same. The Lund costs more than a Tracker.)

You get what you pay for - just like anything in life - and if you are happy with it, it does what you want for the money you paid, then you got a good boat for a good deal.
    Keep on believing Trackers are junk if that helps you sleep at night or helps you justify spending 2x as much on a boat you use exactly the same way as your buddy in a Tracker- but Tracker builds a good boat for a good price.
    So does Crestliner
    So does Xpress
    So does Sea Ark
    So does.............................
    It is all just relative.

If you think paying 2-3K more for a Ranger for the improved floatation, then it is worth it. If not, then it is not worth it....but if you are going to rip on the guy in the Tracker just because it is not a Ranger - then you are just a jerk.
    Last edited by delee36; 08-10-2019 at 08:58 AM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    There is virtually no difference in the way a Crestliner and Tracker are constructed...at least not the meat and potatoes of the hull. (layout of stringers, # of stringers, etc etc) Some small differences in hull design, but mostly built the same method.
    There is a difference in the way the PK, Excel, War Eagle, Xpress are built. PK torque box construction, Excel extruded heavy gauge stringers and more of them, Xpress hull design, etc etc etc.
    When you get into Weld-Craft, Gator Trax, Sea Ark, there is just no comparison at all. Heavier gauge alum all around, double keels, 2x as heavy extruded top rails.

I get this is the same Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument. Some of you could would argue a blue car is red in that regard.
    My point with the post was that, given the same price and market, all of the modern alum boats are pretty good for what they are. You cannot expect a Tracker to be a Sea Ark, because it is not a Sea Ark, but both are good boats for their markets. I spent weeks looking up info on boats and could not find a single thing from any reputable source (and Google/general internet reviews does not count as a reputable source IMO) that says anything different. (most of the reviews I read had nothing to do with the boat maker at all). There is nothing out there that says one is junk while another is great. Not a single thing (other than your opinion, which means little to anyone but you).
    Each have their issues (just like cars or any other manufactured items) but nothing that points to Tracker (or any other) being better than another in its same price range. (like whomever compared Lund to Tracker --- ummm ---when rigged out the same, they do not costs the same. The Lund costs more than a Tracker.)

You get what you pay for - just like anything in life - and if you are happy with it, it does what you want for the money you paid, then you got a good boat for a good deal.
    Keep on believing Trackers are junk if that helps you sleep at night or helps you justify spending 2x as much on a boat you use exactly the same way as your buddy in a Tracker- but Tracker builds a good boat for a good price.
    So does Crestliner
    So does Xpress
    So does Sea Ark
    So does.............................
    It is all just relative.

If you think paying 2-3K more for a Ranger for the improved floatation, then it is worth it. If not, then it is not worth it....but if you are going to rip on the guy in the Tracker just because it is not a Ranger - then you are just a jerk.

If you just look at the hulls of the mass market boats, yes there aren’t tons of differences in construction, but some are shaped better than others. That’s why my follow up post focused on the non-hull difference that are what really drive the pricing.

Why get your knickers in a wad over what the OP wrote. Either you missed the point he was making or just some of you just needed to complain about something. I understood the main point of the question and it wasn't meant to put down individuals ownership of the different brands of boats. Some of you apparently had to take exception to what he said and totally ignored his main point. I also have opinions and though some here in the forum make assertions that are pretty ignorant at times I do my best to keep my fingers off the keyboard instead of commenting on them. Some of you here may want to consider doing the same thing. The OP was asking a valid question about why people bad mouth Tracker Boats. Of course many who are doing the bad mouthing have never owned one anyway. I have seen and heard from folks who own Trackers that has had issues. Some more pleased with the efforts of dealers to make things right if they had issues and then there are those who are totally dissatisfied with their Tracker experience and deservedly so. However, people must realize that Tracker sells more aluminum boats than any other aluminum boat manufacturer so you will hear more complaints from customers. I have a friend who bought the Tracker 195 Tournament Edition with a 150 this year. He has had issues with the plumbing in his boat and has had his boat back to the dealer several times. The local BPS has been bending over backwards to get his boat right and they finally found the issue being a leak in the livewell. It took several trips to the dealer and the lake to finally find the issue, but the problem is solved. Nothing beats a good service department no matter what brand of boat you buy. So why bad mouth a Tracker? If you had an issue yourself previously then I can understand it. If you've never owned one but just going off of what you heard from Joe Schmettlap then keep your thoughts to yourself. Or better yet go talk to the thousands of satisfied Tracker owners and get their opinions on their boats and experiences.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

4. Banned
    My boat floats and sometimes catches fish. Think I'm doing ok with my cost to fish ratio.

5. Banned
    Ya’ll are making this to hard:

Bottom of barrel cheap tier = Tracker boats (the Hyundai of boats)
    Mid-level = everyone else but Ranger
    Top tier/gold standard = Ranger boats, the best a man can buy, the Cadillac of boats and Tracker’s daddy

See.... simple

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post

Top tier/gold standard = Ranger boats, the best a man can buy, the Cadillac of boats and Tracker’s daddy

See.... simple

^^^^^that's funny!^^^^^

7. Banned
    My hope is people will see the obvious humor here and not be a skirt wearing easily offended liberal ........ it’s a joke people, calm down

Quote Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
    I would tend to agree with this. I would specify that anyone who has spent time on a PNW all welded boat will attest, a riveted Lund is an absolutely laughable comparison. Like comparing a Bentley to a Lincoln, despite the similar, or in some cases, cheaper, price.

Completely a side topic. I have family & friends in WA. Where would a Hewes Craft land? I have been out on them as many of my friends run them and there are also a ton of them on the water. They seem bullet proof to me and the price point is up there no doubt.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Completely a side topic. I have family & friends in WA. Where would a Hewes Craft land? I have been out on them as many of my friends run them and there are also a ton of them on the water. They seem bullet proof to me and the price point is up there no doubt.
    Spent alot of time on Hewes myself...best friend had one but just traded it for a 24' Raider (built in Spokane, Wa) . Sooo many all welded quality boat builders up here
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

10. Banned

See.... simple
    Still depressed and having a bad day? Tried kicking the neighbors dog lately

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Still depressed and having a bad day? Tried kicking the neighbors dog lately
    oh no..... aTracker owner with no sense of humor....... read the comments I make afterward bud..... it was a joke

oh no..... aTracker owner with no sense of humor....... read the comments I make afterward bud..... it was a joke
    A person like you that uses the “i was having a bad day” excuse for being a total ass on several occasions is not a person that the majority will find amusing. I could see the humor coming from someone without your past posting history. You are hardly funny quit while youre way behind
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    What I noticed in the entry level boat market is the other materials used in the boat. Plastic and wood vs aluminum and fiberglass. They are all good boats and none of them are going to make you a better fisherman, so I just went with who gave me the best deal.
    2019 Crestliner VT 17 DX
    2019 40HP Mercury Fourstroke W/12 pitch Spitfire Prop
    80# Minn Kota Ultrex TM
    2 - Humminbird Helix 7 Chirp MSI GPS 3G

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    A person like you that uses the “i was having a bad day” excuse for being a total ass on several occasions is not a person that the majority will find amusing. I could see the humor coming from someone without your past posting history. You are hardly funny quit while youre way behind
    and you have proven yourself to be overly sensitive, it works both ways Roy

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Oh look! Bass fisherman involved in a pissing contest!

Fine! I’m mad that no one mentioned Triton in ANY tier then!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    and what are the other instances Roy? I was wrong on the Heritage Tracker thread, acted out and totally admitted it and owned it, but what are the others?

17. Member
    I'm offended Mirrocraft was not part of this pissing match!

18. Banned

19. Banned
    My Tracker identifies as a top tier vessel.

20. Banned
    Indeed it does ^^^^^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast