4 blade prop recommendation

I have a 2016 Triton TRX 189 with a Evinrude 150 H.O. ( Gen 1) which came with a Raker H.O. ( 14.5"X 22"). Boat runs very well with this, speed and RPM's match closely, 61mph & 6000 RPM's at WOT. Decided to get a 4 blade for rough water. I have minimal experience with props so I spoke to several experts and received the following recommendations:

1. Evinrude RX4. 22 pitch, without needing modification
    2. Mercury Revolution 4. 20 pitch, would need modification
    3. Mercury Racing Bravo 1 FS. 23 pitch, without needing modification.

A few friends went from a 3 blade smaller diameter prop like the Raker to a RX4 with a 1" lower pitch. All were unhappy with performance.
    I was suggested that I speak to someone from Mercury Racing who advised the Bravo above. Purchased it and had very poor performance-Max RPM's 5300 and 53 mph speed, trimmed all the way up. Also, could not find a "sweet spot" where the steering loosened up.Mercury took the prop back and sent me same model with 20 pitch. RPM's went to 5800 but no increase in speed. Didn't realize that the Bravo has a 15.25" diameter , which is 3/4" more than my Raker. I expected some loss in my top end but not 8 mph. I won't be able to return the Bravo, which I ran once . Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would try a 23P Trophy Plus.

FYI... When you change props and diameters, You must adjust/test motor height as well.... If you don't, You are not giving the prop a fair shake. The Bravo1 will run much higher because of the bigger diameter and extra blade.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Forgot to mention that I have a 6" hydraulic jack plate. Raker ran best 1/3rd of way up, Bravo 1/2 way up.

Normally the smaller HP motors require less diameter to transfer the HP to the water, Unless it's a heavy load or big boat application. Too much diameter can hurt top end as it is extra drag if the diameter is not needed.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post

FYI... When you change props and diameters, You must adjust/test motor height as well.... If you don't, You are not giving the prop a fair shake. The Bravo1 will run much higher because of the bigger diameter and extra blade.
    I hope this isn’t a thread hijack, but I have a question on this. On my BassCat Margay with a Mercury 150 4S I rand a 23P Fury that ran ok, but I wanted a better hole shot and handling. I put on a 23P Trophy Plus and not only did I lose about 500 RPMs, 15MPH on the GPS, but the holeshot is terrible. It handles like a dream though.
    I was going to look for another 4 blade in a 21 or 22 pitch, but does motor height make that much of a difference in this application?

The 4 strokes like more diameter and little to no venting... The Trophy has a small barrel/tube that vents alot even w/o the pvs plugs open. Not sure if this is your issue on holeshot. If your boat craves a lot of bow lift, The fury3 might be the better choice as the 4 blades lift the stern and lower the bow lift some. Like a teeter totter.

7. Member

What's your opinion of the Revolution 4-23P for my setup? Also, suggestions as to the best way to sell or trade in my Bravo Fs 1? Thanks again for your help.

The Rev4 is a stiff 4 blade and normally need to reduce 1-2 pitchs from most props... List the Bravo1 for sale here on the props for sale page. I have a friend that could use this prop, But he's cheap!

9. Member
    Whatever Mike tells you about props you can take to the bank
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

10. Member
    I have a Triton 196 with a 200 Optimax and run a 23" Rev 4. The boat performs well with that prop. I would guess with your motor you would be better off with a 21 than a 23 if that is the prop you choose. Back when I ran a lot of rough water I never found a better prop than the High 5. If you can borrow a 21 or a 23 it might be worth the effort.

11. Member
    Thanks for everyone's input.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I hope this isn’t a thread hijack, but I have a question on this. On my BassCat Margay with a Mercury 150 4S I rand a 23P Fury that ran ok, but I wanted a better hole shot and handling. I put on a 23P Trophy Plus and not only did I lose about 500 RPMs, 15MPH on the GPS, but the holeshot is terrible. It handles like a dream though.
    I was going to look for another 4 blade in a 21 or 22 pitch, but does motor height make that much of a difference in this application?
    t hat trophy should eat that fury up! somethings off. my trophy my best prop, betterthan custom worked high $$$$ ones. good lift, all around and i run it high on plate

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARTS SHADOW View Post
    t hat trophy should eat that fury up! somethings off. my trophy my best prop, betterthan custom worked high $$$$ ones. good lift, all around and i run it high on plate
    I took it out again over the weekend after reading some of the advice here. It had the large PVS plugs in at the time. I took them all out and the prop was blowing out so badly the boat couldn’t come out of the hole at all. I put 4 solid plugs in and the holeshot is great now so that worked out.
    I’m still only turning 5300 RPMs WOT fully trimmed and losing 18mph on the top end so maybe the idea that I need to run it high would help. I’m getting 20PSI of water pressure so I should be able to take it up a bit and see if that helps.

14. Member

Sold my Bravo 1. Thinking about the Merc Trophy Plus 23P as you recommended. Also found a used OMC Renegade 23P online in very good condition. Opinions concerning the Renegade? Thanks.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    Sold my Bravo 1. Thinking about the Merc Trophy Plus 23P as you recommended. Also found a used OMC Renegade 23P online in very good condition. Opinions concerning the Renegade? Thanks.
    I had a 18.5' Skeeter with 175 Evinrude and Renegade 4-blade. Holeshot and top end were great and awesome handling in rough water. Probably the best all around combination I've owned...

16. Member
    As a follow up, I just ran my rig with a Trophy Plus 23 pitch. MPH were consistently 5-6 below RPM's, top speed 50-51 at 5500-5600 RPM's. Very poor hole shot, 10-12 secs. Had to be trimmed all the way up for best performance. Tried adjusting jackplate as well, but no significant improvement Steering tough, never found a "sweet spot". I also ran a friend's Renegade 23 P which had been worked on, so pitch probably closer to 24, and more cupping .
    Although nowhere near perfect, boat ran better than the Trophy Plus and Bravo's that I previously tried. Speed and RPM's ran closer than Trophy Plus,
    maxing out at around 53-54. Hole shot fair. Where to go from here?

My question would be are you having a problem with the Raker in rough water such as ventilation in big waves or turning at low speeds over wakes. If so it is very likely Mark Croxten could improve that along with proper motor heights

I would also advise you take give a great deal of precedence to what Michael (21XDC) advises you on) as he has a much wider range of knowledge on this subject than most of us have, My experience is much more narrow to as to the boats and purposes used. A good example is, I have never been able to get satisfactory results from a Trophy prop for me but many others achieve exactly what they want with them
    Last edited by lpugh; 10-27-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh