Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trouble power loading 250 4s

So since I’ve had this motor it just seams like it don’t like power loading on a trailer I just don’t get it, motor has plenty of juice out the hole when I take off in the boat , but when I’m loading on the trailer it will just not go any further up trailer once it bottoms out, I’ve never had that issue with my two strokes, hell if you held them on to hard they would jump the eye hook, anybody else notice this also ?

All about the prop and the Venting
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. mikesxpress
    No issue with my 23P 3 blade Fury all holes plugged, JP all the way up, and trim all the way up on a Z21Ranger.

4. Member
    Be sure and wet all the carpet boat will set on before pulling up to correct trailer depth for loading the boat. So many people forget this step. Dry carpet is like stop here!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Be sure and wet all the carpet boat will set on before pulling up to correct trailer depth for loading the boat. So many people forget this step. Dry carpet is like stop here!
    I’ve been running bass boats all my life, never had an issue until this motor,boat,trailer set up. It just seems to have no ass to push it up. But like I said plenty low end to jump boat out of the hole. I just don’t get it. I have to have the trailer in the perfect situation to push it up but living in south Louisiana it’s rare because all our launchers are steep because the water is so shallow so the ramps have to be steep

6. Member
    I find that when I have to use a steep ramp the boat loads better if I trim up close to the trailering position so that the bow is lifted and the stern pushed down.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

What prop are you running? And what size PVS plugs do you have in currently?

Keep in mind- when trimmed beyond the normal trim range you may experience power limitation (Guardian)/

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Its all in the venting of the prop. I have a 26 bravo xs that wont push boat on the trailer. I have a 26 tempest that'll put the boat in back of the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanner View Post
    Its all in the venting of the prop. I have a 26 bravo xs that wont push boat on the trailer. I have a 26 tempest that'll put the boat in back of the truck.
    not all motors vent the exhaust the same way.. So what works for one will not always work for the other. BIG difference.
    Don't care how much HP you have if the mtr can't get into it's power by slipping just a little it can embarrass you at the boat ramp..

10. Member
    Wet bunks and Back in a little more it sounds like.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Wet bunks and Back in a little more it sounds like.
    Won’t get bow over the roller if I go in anymore, ive tried all ways, back in more no power loading needed, but can’t get bow over roller on some situations

What boat, and prop do have, what rpm are you pulling at top speed, sounds like a prop issue to me such as over propped
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Totally agree with everyone's comments about PVS plugs. Example: my 2018 Eyra with 250 Pro XS 2-stroke, Fury 3 25p no plugs....would load itself in the truck if you weren't careful. I added just 2 large plugs....and you couldn't get it to load on the trailer or get on plane with a full live well. Period. No way no how. Removed the plugs....and everything went back to normal. You need to be sure (on a 2 stroke anyway, that you're turning 3300-3600 rpm during your holeshot takeoff. If you aren't turning at least that many rpm at that point, then you're not in a torque range to get much acceleration to holeshot or grip to load the trailer.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

your running a 4 blade prop, right?
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

15. Member
    3 blade fury 25p Phoenix 721

Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    What size of pvs plugs are in it and what are your WOT RPMs
    Think you need a 24 for that boat and motor combo
    If trimmed to high that motor may not develop the power you need to push it on
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    I'm curious what actual RPM's you're getting with this prop (at WOT)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I'm curious what actual RPM's you're getting with this prop (at WOT)?
    don I’m getting 5970 to about 5980 running 75-77 mph

19. Member
    I’m sure I could get better but I like how it runs with this set up, motor came with a 24 fury but it only would run about 72 at 6000 so I knew the 25 would work good on this boat

Sam I thought I read about a calibration change when changing to different props on this motor. Possible that it may be cutting low speed torque back if the ecm thinks it has a 24 on it. Just thinking out loud, programming has gotten very advanced these days and we still have lot to learn about the four strokes, I would think that motor put it in the bed of the truck
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast