Please help me help a recent widow

Sorry for the long-windedness, but last month, a neighbor down the street unexpectedly passed away of a massive heart attack. He was 75, a good guy, a veteran and always a joy to talk to. Last week, the widow asked me for help getting some things fixed, which I gladly obliged. This small gesture has now turned into me giving advice regarding a variety of things, doing yard work, repairing bicycles and helping sell a 2004 F150 with 84K miles and a car. None of which I mind at all. The truck will be a piece of cake as it will sell itself.

The car is a different story. It is a 1976 Cutlass Supreme with 102K miles. My neighbors purchased the vehicle new and it is in really good condition given its age. For no particular reason, the car sat for some time. But after I replaced the battery, it fired right up. I mean, first crank! Maintenance was done regularly and this car was not abused. While there are some minor cosmetic issues such as little scratches, everything is original. I don’t want her to undersell the car, but on the same token, I don’t want to get into haggling and fielding a plethora of inquires since I will now be the one handling the business end. (I figured better me than her.)

I’ve looked at Kelley and NADA, but it seems pretty subjective so getting the asking price correct is a crapshoot. Originally, she just wanted a grand, but I convinced her otherwise given the fact it has zero rust, runs and drives well, the interior is super clean, and it has replacement trim/parts in the trunk. I probably should have kept my opinion to myself, but there is no going back now. Soon, it will be time to sell this car, but I don’t know where to start on price or the best place to list it. Past experiences with Craigslist have been mixed. Perhaps, Facebook marketplace? Heck, I don't know...

Anybody have a similar experience doing something like this? I know it is just selling a car, but it is not mine and the dear widow doesn’t have the slightest clue about her late husband’s passions or possessions. I've spoken to her about asking price and bottom dollar, but she has deferred to me.

Also, anyone interested in a one owner 1976 Cutlass Supreme with a 350 4bbl?

2. Banned
    Man...76 was the year of the de-tuned engines and not very attractive vehicles to boot.

Do some snooping here. https://www.allcollectorcars.com/cla...dsmobile/1976/ and price it somewhere in the middle.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Do some snooping here. https://www.allcollectorcars.com/cla...dsmobile/1976/ and price it somewhere in the middle.
    Thanks for the tip!

5. Member
    Blessings to you remaly 181. God gave us instructions to care for widows and orphans.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

6. Member
    You're doing a great thing..

7. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    2 door or 4 door? Leather, cloth, Landau, etc.?

Details, my man, details.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    2 door or 4 door? Leather, cloth, Landau, etc.?

Details, my man, details.
    What was I thinking? This crowd always demands pics. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

She needs a bath and a vacuum. Just minutes after i pulled it out of the garage, a couple birds in the nearby crabapple evacuated their bowels on it. I guess they weren't impressed.

9. Member
    Get it detailed and take it to a car show. Someone will pay a good price for one looking that good.

10. Member
    That seems to be a good candidate for bringatrailer.com
    I'd Rather be Fishing

11. Member
    Nice cars. Classic.
    Last edited by Bearetta; 08-04-2019 at 07:33 AM.

7 big bills easy

If you are serious about getting top dollar, post it in Racing junk dot com or Hemmings.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Man...76 was the year of the de-tuned engines and not very attractive vehicles to boot.
    Yep those cars really lacked luster. Bought one for the wife from a friend when we were married.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

14. Member
    Around here,that car will bring top dollar from the ahh...hip hop crowd. A lift and a set of 22’s and they’ll be rollin’.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    Yep those cars really lacked luster. Bought one for the wife from a friend when we were married.

Crate engine 383 stroker

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Around here,that car will bring top dollar from the ahh...hip hop crowd. A lift and a set of 22’s and they’ll be rollin’.
    1864676732_c203c98620_o.jpgSame color even!

17. Member
    I can always count on you guys for top-notch advice and laughs. That pic, bshort, is killer!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    I can always count on you guys for top-notch advice and laughs. That pic, bshort, is killer!

19. Member
    I commend you for helping the lady. Sorry I can’t give advice on price. Good luck and hope she gets top dollar.
    Praying for a Cure

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-91 View Post
    Get it detailed and take it to a car show. Someone will pay a good price for one looking that good.
    I would say that is your best option