Thread: Wake Boats

Wake Boats

I fished Rough River today, Saturday, and there were a couple of wake boats pulling what looked like surf boards. While it looked fun it made it impossible and very unsafe for anyone near them. I was up around George's Branch, it gets pretty skinny up there. It almost put the boat on dry land. Plus what is that doing to the banks as far as erosion?

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I fished Rough River today, Saturday, and there were a couple of wake boats pulling what looked like surf boards. While it looked fun it made it impossible and very unsafe for anyone near them. I was up around George's Branch, it gets pretty skinny up there. It almost put the boat on dry land. Plus what is that doing to the banks as far as erosion?
    They are a nuisance on any body of water everywhere. I live on a lake, and they are getting ready to ban them from the lake.

3. Member
    They are a menace. You are supposed to be responsible for your wake, but I've never seen law enforcement say anything to them. I've seen small jon boats nearly flipped and docked boats beat up. I like to play myself but some of those wake boats are just too much. You have to wonder where law enforcement will draw the line. I'm sure they are designing them to make larger wakes as we speak.

4. Member
    My brother was fishing Taylorsville around a month ago and they hit some of those waves and it threw him and his partner out of boat. Said his boat launched like 10 feet in the air. They were going around 50 mph he said and didnt even see the waves until it was to late. Said it just looked like a ripple on top of water till it was to lTs. They were lucky and both were ok. Could have been alot worse. They lost and broke some tackle and did a little damage to the fiberglass but all in all everything was fine. These wake boats are getting out of control!

5. Banned
    Wake boats are big money, they rent houseboat, cabins, boat slips and buy a lot of marina gas... Now, us bass guys, we buy our gas and snacks at the local 7/11 launch, fish and then head home at the end of the day... Whose opinion gonna carry more weight with marina owners???... Doubt they're banned from many lakes... Dan

Tournament fisherman leave a lot of money in The local areas. Hotels, gas baits.

it is against the law to throw an unsafe wake. take their boat number and turn them into the Coast Guard. Some video on your phone will be helpful...
    Ranger Forever

8. Member
    That's why I don't go to rough. That may have been my neighbor, he and each of his buddies have a place on rough and wake boats. Seen some of their videos of surfing behind it which look fun, but the wave they put off and the big cabin cruisers are dangerous for small boats. Last time I was there on a weekend, a family in a pontoon pulling a kid did donuts 70yds away from me over and over until I had to leave. Plus highway 54 will beat a trailer to death.

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have been on Lake Austin in TX several times lately. Over half the boats on that lake are wake boats. Fish really early before they get out or at night there.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

10. Banned
    Pictures or videos are welcome to water patrol. They may not get them that day, you can bet they will get special attention in future

11. Member
    I fished Rough Sunday and got behind a wake boat as well. It seemed just like the big rollers coming off a barge on the Ohio River. Luckily was able to cut off to the side and then speed around them. Also had a dumba** pulling a tube cut right in front of my boat, so he could hit a wave. If the kid were to fall off, I'm not entirely sure I could have swerved in time.

12. Member
    Every time that I fish Taylorsville, they tend to find me and make sure they keep going by over and over again!!! Very frustrating! It amazes me at the amount of people out there that pull their kids over top of the tree tops and stick ups out there. I see it darn near every time I am out there. Scares the hell out of me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillymac View Post
    Every time that I fish Taylorsville, they tend to find me and make sure they keep going by over and over again!!! Very frustrating! It amazes me at the amount of people out there that pull their kids over top of the tree tops and stick ups out there. I see it darn near every time I am out there. Scares the hell out of me.
    I hear ya there, never fails no matter where I’m at on the lake a wake boat way over loaded blasting music throwing a big dang wake will find me. Love it when they wash my boat up onto the stick ups I’m trying to weave around
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

14. Member
    The first time a wake boat passed me I went airborne. The second time I had to drop on all fours to keep from falling overboard. I avoid them at all cost. They ate a nuisance that I cant believe is approved for smaller lakes.

Been a while since I have fished a bigger lakes in the summer, typically fish them in the cooler weather and hit the smaller lakes in the warmer months where there are no wake setters. I sympathize with those trying to fish and deal with them. Sometimes I think it’s a game to these people to aggravate anglers.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

16. Member
    Early spring and fall does not slow these people down at taylorsville lake. Early spring or late fall. They just break out the wet suits.

Early spring and fall does not slow these people down at taylorsville lake. Early spring or late fall. They just break out the wet suits.
    So true. I worry about erosion.

18. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Heaters in the high end wake boats for when they get pout also
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

19. Member
    Eventually someone will get seriously hurt or killed from the huge wakes they throw Then its gonna get very interesting with the associated lawsuits as each boater is responsible for their wake.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

20. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I have had only one experience with a wake boat. It was a year ago this last spring. The wife and I were fishing on Lake Lanier in Georgia. One went by and I took water over the bow, it splashed all the way to the consoles on my boat. I have to say it was pretty scary, there was no way to get away from it. I can't understand how those things can be legal.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.