Need very basic help on prop

I have an older stratos 21 msx. It is a big, beamy 21 ft fiberglass deep v boat. I run a Yamaha HPDI 250. I finally need a new prop as the original aluminum is really damaged. I know nothing about props so I ran the mercury prop selector and it gav em the tempest 14 5/8 x 22 as a all around suggestion.

Just wondering if this passes the sense check test? I am also looking to buy a good used prop so need to know how much flexibility I would have versus those specs for good all around performance.

Appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

2. Banned
    What matters is the pitch of the previous prop and how it performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    What matters is the pitch of the previous prop and how it performed.
    Cant compare aluminum to stainless in a meaningful way
    It would be a good idea to post this question in the Stratos forum to get a idea of what others are running on the same boat
    I suspect a 22 tempest would be a good starting point on this boat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

A big, beamy, deep V, fiberglass boat with a Yamaha 250 would like a large diameter 15+ inch 3-4 blade... I'm thinking a 19-21P Mriage Plus would be a good start in testing if you can.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Cant compare aluminum to stainless in a meaningful way
    It would be a good idea to post this question in the Stratos forum to get a idea of what others are running on the same boat
    I suspect a 22 tempest would be a good starting point on this boat
    You sure can. Expect the pitch to be within 2" of the original, and probably within 1".
    Plus the OP didn't say if he was satisfied with the performance of the original prop (before it was damaged).