2003 OX66 225HP charging system output ?

Would anyone know what the charging system output would be for a 2003 Vmax ox66 225hp ?

Pretty sure it's 35A

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    35 amps is the maximum current that is available from the lighting coils. However, a portion of that current is used to operate the motor. I would suspect that the output available to recharge batteries is approximately 20 ~ 25 amps. At WOT.

4. Member
    Would you also know the voltage ? I am trying to see if a lithium battery is compatible. Thanks

5. Member
    mine runs right at 14.2 but that is only where the regulator is set. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    As CJ1 notes you will typically see 14.2 volts or so. Perhaps a tad higher in some cases. Not uncommon to see 14.5/14.6 volts.

What is the lithium battery makes specifying for an input voltage?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    As CJ1 notes you will typically see 14.2 volts or so. Perhaps a tad higher in some cases. Not uncommon to see 14.5/14.6 volts.

What is the lithium battery makes specifying for an input voltage?
    The lithium battery will disconnect above 15.2 V and 350 amps.

8. Member
    There is no concern about the amperage.

It is unlikely that the output voltage would ever exceed 15.2 volts. If so, the battery should simply disconnect. I suspect that when the voltage goes below 15.2 volts the battery would reconnect.

9. Member
    Posted in the lithium batt thread. 14.6 is supposed to be the highest before it sends current back to the lighting coil, based on Yamaha documentation. All bets are off if the rectifier/regulator fails, but the BMS will protect the battery from over voltage. In fact, if the BMS does disconnect the battery due to over voltage you could look at it as an onboard diagnostic tool for a bad rectifier/regulator because I don't think there are many other ways to get an over current situation.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Posted in the lithium batt thread. 14.6 is supposed to be the highest before it sends current back to the lighting coil, based on Yamaha documentation. All bets are off if the rectifier/regulator fails, but the BMS will protect the battery from over voltage. In fact, if the BMS does disconnect the battery due to over voltage you could look at it as an onboard diagnostic tool for a bad rectifier/regulator because I don't think there are many other ways to get an over current situation.
    Can you provide a link to that thread?

What is it that sends current to the lighting coil? I need to read up on that.

11. Member
    The way it works, to my understanding, is the regulator looks at battery voltage and sends current via the rectifier to the battery if it's less than 14.6V. Once up to that point, the regulator sends current to ground via the lighting coil, which is essentially the "generator" of the system. The current coming off the lighting coil is AC, which is why there is a rectifier in the system, to turn it into DC for the electrical system.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=982657

This is becoming another ginormous thread. The discussion about charging and OX66 motors is toward the tail end of what is currently there.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp