Thread: Wont fire HELP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wont fire HELP

OK guys I have a 2015 150 ProXS. Serial # 2B114582 Last time I was home I had to replace tracker valve and also changed all plugs. Fuel filter. Water pump. Well the boat has been running better than she has in a year. Fast forward to today. Fished a pot tourney with my little girl and we cranked the boat to make short run to another spot and she just went dead. Would not fire. Tried and tried but no luck. Trolled and loaded her up. Got home to diagnose. Trimmed it down and this stuff comes out from inside prop. Fearing there was an issue with LU i drained and refilled. Nothing wrong with gear lube. What is this? Carbon buildup? I'm assuming she will be going to shop. Just curious what I am up against.

OK so I cant get pic to upload. But the stuff in question looks like a real black oily sand substance. Not really metal shavings just black grainy sand. There was quite a bit of it also.

Oh one other thing to add. I did notice it was a little sluggish coming out of hole. Not bad. I honestly just thought i had alot of weight with livewells and gas tank being full
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lsufan334; 08-03-2019 at 07:45 PM.

ok pics look like they want through. Any advice would be really appreciated guys. Thanks.
    Last edited by lsufan334; 08-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Another thing to add. I have recently started using Dons cocktail. Just ran my first full tank with cocktail added.

4. Member
    That looks like carbon residue in the photo. Don't mean to ask a silly question but what about the kill switch position? Is it in the fully up or "run" position? Spark plugs fouled from the carbon residue? I find it hard to believe all cylinders would be dead at the same time unless there is an ignition issue.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    That looks like carbon residue in the photo. Don't mean to ask a silly question but what about the kill switch position? Is it in the fully up or "run" position? Spark plugs fouled from the carbon residue? I find it hard to believe all cylinders would be dead at the same time unless there is an ignition issue.
    I am just assuming the switch is good. Normally on this boat it will beep when switching on the ignition in the run position. It wont beep when switching on ignition in kill position. But I have not actually troubleshot that route. Just hoping the beeps are not lying to me. lol

Ok. Update guys. Check spark from all 6 coils. All have spark. Checked plugs and found one fouled full of carbon deposits. Changed out and she tried to fire up. Haven't made anymore progress since. All the other plugs look clean and free of buildup. Still getting nasty stuff coming from prop exhaust vent.

So yeah im at my wits end with this thing. Here is a video of what she is doing. IDK sure seems like some kind of firing issue.

8. Member
    You have something else going on with that motor... it sounded like a knocking noise to me. Have you looked at the compressor yet?
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C

9. Member
    That engine still under warranty?
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C

No unfortunately not under warranty

Well dropped it off this morning. Fingers crossed it's not too bad.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 on remove the belt and check the Air Compressor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Well picked it up today guys. The fuel regulator just completely failed. When hooking up the gauges the mechanic said the fuel pressure just maxed out his gauges which are at 120psi. This in turn ripped the tracker valve and fouled all 6 plugs. Seems to be running fine now. Will be dropping her in the lake tomm. Don I just installed that tracker valve a few weeks ago. By chance would this be covered under warranty? If so can you please point me in the right direction to file warranty claim? Thanks

14. Member
    will need to return the part with receipt of purchase , they have a one year warranty on factory parts , so what did he do about the regulator that compltetely failed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Also, the Tracker Valve and the Fuel Pressure Regulator are two totally different parts/components, with different jobs/functions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    will need to return the part with receipt of purchase , they have a one year warranty on factory parts , so what did he do about the regulator that compltetely failed
    He replaced the regulator, tracker valve, and all 6 plugs. Took boat to lake today and it was running great. I have been having issues for a few weeks that's when I found the first torn tracker valve and I ordered from Don. Replaced and boat ran fine for about a few trips then it just died and would never crank back up. When my mechanic found bad regulator he also checked tracker valve and the tracker valve was destroyed and all 6 plugs were fouled out. I'm guessing due to the amount of fuel getting to the plugs. They did look pretty terrible. Would a bad regulator cause damage to the tracker valve? Or is there more issues I could see in the future. I asked if the fuel rails looked good and he said they were in great shape.

17. Member
    possibly, if reg was calibrated correctly when installed you should be good to go
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    possibly, if reg was calibrated correctly when installed you should be good to go
    I hope so Joe. Seems to be alot of issues lately. I'm a little concerned about it maybe paranoid. I asked mechanic what he gapped the plugs at when he installed them. He said they were gapped from factory. I asked if it was gapped .042 range and he said no. I was under the assumption my boat was supposed to be gapped in the .042 range.

19. Member
    dats right for better idle quality

Well i went down to shop and double checked. The plugs were gapped at .032 I gapped all 6 at .042 and applied anti-seize. Fired up and let her idle for a little while. I hope to rest a little easier. I will be gone to work for 28 days so I will hopefully have her on the water a little more when I return. Joe and Don. Thank you guys for all the help. All of us on these forums are blessed to have you guys helping us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast