Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    I also think Roku is one to watch with its earnings next week.
    Should have bought in when I posted this. Check out the chart for ROKU this week. With a little research on a company, it can be fun to play earnings swings when they beat expectations. Especially in a stock like ROKU that is known for its volatility

2. Banned
    see this is the kinda fun id be in for...be nicer if it was even cheaper too though! lol under 100 on August 6 tho, so prolly cant get better than that.

You all are some wizards!!! Care to tell me why you thought things were going to happen the way they did? I mean research wise, not necessarily the secret sauce.

3. Member
    ROKUs chart shows a history of volatility after earnings. I checked out all of the EPS and earnings expectations before and then monitored their expectations for this earnings announcement. They were set to announce earnings after close, so at close I got on their shareholders site and watched stock news. Their announcement letter showed up and I quickly read it. Sure enough, they beat earnings expectations. I should have bought in right then, but I screwed up the trade on my platform and the stock already hit my target by the time I realized what I had done. The next day, the stock was well above my target I sat my target low just to be safe, but with a stock like this, you never really know how high it is going to go, within reason. That's the fun of it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay10 View Post
    Thanks retieoften. As a financial advisor myself I'm always curious what funds other advisors are using and the expense ratio from each one.
    Did you even have to ask him? It’s Edward Jones.... you know it will be at least half to 3/4 American Funds. Not saying American Funds are bad... but it’s an integral part of the Jones playbook.

5. Member
    To the OP:

Its really up to you how you want to start. Are you wanting to gamble, or are you wanting to invest? If you want to invest you can’t go wrong starting with some index ETF’s that follow the S&p 500, etc. Then, as you add more money to the account, find another stock or etf, etc. With $1000 it really won’t matter how much you gain or lose as long as you don’t go crazy with penny stocks , etc. The real key is to keep adding to the account as often as you can. That will be the real driver of your account balance for the first few years until you build enough for interest to take over. Create a plan, such as $500 in each investment. Once an investment doubles... take half the profit and invest in something else. Follow the plan and over time you will be surprised how it grows. Don’t do too much trading. It Trying to time the market seldom works out... especially for a beginner. Lots of trades can also eat you up in trade fees and taxes, and can make it a pain to report gains and losses in your tax returns.

6. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kletus View Post
    To the OP:

Its really up to you how you want to start. Are you wanting to gamble, or are you wanting to invest? If you want to invest you can’t go wrong starting with some index ETF’s that follow the S&p 500, etc. Then, as you add more money to the account, find another stock or etf, etc. With $1000 it really won’t matter how much you gain or lose as long as you don’t go crazy with penny stocks , etc. The real key is to keep adding to the account as often as you can. That will be the real driver of your account balance for the first few years until you build enough for interest to take over. Create a plan, such as $500 in each investment. Once an investment doubles... take half the profit and invest in something else. Follow the plan and over time you will be surprised how it grows. Don’t do too much trading. It Trying to time the market seldom works out... especially for a beginner. Lots of trades can also eat you up in trade fees and taxes, and can make it a pain to report gains and losses in your tax returns.
    free trades through many platforms now. Doesn’t mean you should abuse it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12