Non Piercing Cull Tag Question

Just wondering if any of you are having luck with any brand of these? I switched over to a second generation of the non Piercing tags and to be honest I’ve had three different occasions of fish acting funny once tagged. They just start to flip upside down and seem to be dying so I just take the tag out and they seem to get better. Anyone else having any issues? The quality of the product as far as staying in the mouth and all that is great I just don’t want to have to constantly check the fish to make sure the tags aren’t killing them. Maybe I’m hooking them up wrong?? Seems like it should be pretty straight forward but I’ve been known to look like an idiot before 😁

2. Member
    I like the Cal Coast 2.0's. Had 4 in the well for most of the day last weekend and no issues even with mid-80's water temps.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    I like the Cal Coast 2.0's. Had 4 in the well for most of the day last weekend and no issues even with mid-80's water temps.
    Agree, love mine.

I've had good luck with the accu cull brand
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

5. Member
    I have the Cal coat 2.0 with no problems. I did have issues same as you’re describing with their 1.0 version but they replaced with the new version free of charge. Make sure you’re clipping them in the bottom lip, same place you’d pierce or put your finger/knuckle when you lip a fish.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    That’s a pretty common issue with all non piercing cull tags. The tags don’t really lay flat allowing the fish to fully get in oxygen. If you see one acting funny take the tag off. I use the regualr style specifically because I’d rather not risk the chance of a fish dying especially since the tournaments I fish don’t require it. If you use a stringer style and go between the gill plate and first set of gills it wont have any adverse effects and it allows the fish to breathe normally
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Banned
    I use cal coast version 1.0 no issues ever. They need to go off to the side of the center cartilage in the lower jaw.

Went back to puncture style for this exact reason. You can use them without putting giant holes in the soft tissue if you puncture just behind the tip of their bottom jaw. No bigger than the hole left from a hook that way, and my fish aren't wanting to roll over on me all the time now.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Thanks folks