East Texas lakes and football jigs...

What is your line choice? Braid? Mono? Flouro? Braid to Leader? I can't seem to make up my mind on what I want to use when making long cast into deep water.

I'm using a heavy action rod with fast to mod-fast action... Zbone or Expride

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use straight braid for the 6 months I'm at Toledo Bend. I don't want any stretch on a hookset and braid gets me more jigs back from the countless times getting caught up in a stump or tree (but I might have to bend the hook back into position). I used a fluoro leader for a while but it didn't seem to make any difference. I spend 95% of my time in the mid-lake area where the water is more stained than it is further south.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I use straight braid for the 6 months I'm at Toledo Bend. I don't want any stretch on a hookset and braid gets me more jigs back from the countless times getting caught up in a stump or tree (but I might have to bend the hook back into position). I used a fluoro leader for a while but it didn't seem to make any difference. I spend 95% of my time in the mid-lake area where the water is more stained than it is further south.
    50# braid?

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    50# braid?
    Yes. Sufix 832 if you care....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

More than one guide on Fork says to avoid braid for bottom contact techniques. Evidently the noise coming from rubbing against structure results in fewer bites. Given the pressure Fork sees it makes sense to me.

6. Member

17 lb flouro for me for abrasion resistance.. Braid would be pretty frayed in the areas I fish my football jigs

7. Member
    20# flouro for me, unless it's a lighter jig and more finesse, then I use 12# flouro. I only use mono for light topwater setups. And only use braid if I'm throwing into heavy cover with a frog, etc. That's just me though.

Fluoro for me

I usually use straight braid, places like Lake Houston and Livingston are murky enough it won't matter. I usually have a spare reel with 20 lb flouro that I'll throw on my jig rod if I'm fishing cleaner water. If I had to pick between the two for all the time it would be flouro.
    Currently boatless but will always drive a Bass Cat