Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Transom pulling away from boat

I just bought a 2006 Z21 from a bbc member. After going out today for probably my 4th trip in this boat I noticed the outboard seemed bounce. I’m in my driveway now looking at it and the transom is pulling away from the boat. Any suggestions on how to remedy this would be appreciated
    2006 Ranger Z21 w/Yamaha HPDI 250 VMax

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Big problem, don't operate it. Did you hit something? Need to get it to a good reputable marine repair shop to get it evaluated. I'd be talking to the guy that sold it to you too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

3. Member
    This^^^
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

4. Member
    pics?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    Ouch!! Maybe backed into something?

Definitely something wrong there. What size JP?

Get it to a dealer if you can.

GL
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

7. mikesxpress
    Dan was the flimsy plastic trim piece across the transom torn off like that when you bought it? It shows the trim sealant failed long ago.
    Here is my 2009 Z21 Intracoastal:
    http://imgur.com/a/TRiUFI8

Suggestion: Attach the trailer to the truck. Remove the motor cowling and propeller and trim engine down level. Have someone video the area while you bear hug the engine and place both feet on the cavitation plate/lower unit. This will give you a better idea of the severity of the failure.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-03-2019 at 06:28 AM.

8. Member
    just noticed an issue with the transom bolt. You cant see the bolt head or washer in the photo. Did it break or was it pulled into the transom?
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

9. Member
    Rangers don’t bolt through the back splash. There is a larger hole there to accept the bolt head,the hole should be covered by a black plastic cap. To the op,your transom is broken,that’s very bad. Someone hit something very hard with the engine. Don’t run it like that. Just to give you an idea of that impact,I hit a log at about 35-40 mph with my Ranger 518,hard enough to shear off the brass nuts and it didn’t crack the transom at all. Yours was hit much harder than that and whoever did it,knows it.

The trim piece was there when I bought it. It broke off yesterday. I’m trying to get the previous owner to do the right thing. If not I will make sure you all know who it is.

I got a quote of $2500 so far. In the meantime I may get a thick piece of steel and longer jack plate bolts to temporarily hold it together

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhrph View Post
    The trim piece was there when I bought it. It broke off yesterday. I’m trying to get the previous owner to do the right thing. If not I will make sure you all know who it is.

I got a quote of $2500 so far. In the meantime I may get a thick piece of steel and longer jack plate bolts to temporarily hold it together
    Don’t run it like this or try to rig it with a piece of steel! 2500 is cheap for transom repair.

12. Member
    Someone knows exactly how this happened. I doubt we will ever hear the truth.
    Those who work for a living are being quickly overwhelmed by those who vote for a living.

Could very well be impact damage, but I’ve seen a Z520 2008 go back to the factory for the same looking issue. It was a defect. Ranger repaired it. I would get a professional opinion on what’s going on. No way anyone on here can tell what’s going on from a picture. Jmho

also...I’d pull the charger 4th battery and prop/battery pad. Flashlight on your knee braces check if they have pulled out of the hull, look for other damage that would indicate transom issue.

Looks somewhat like the hull is pulling away from transom. Needs professional attention.
    Last edited by dean c; 08-03-2019 at 03:00 PM.

14. Member
    Sorry that you were sold this boat. I would be interested to see the original post to see if he mentioned anything that would lead you to believe it was in a wreck like that.

15. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by danhrph View Post

No band-aide available for what your one picture is showing. Unusable at this point. Taking the high road on this until more in-depth research is completed.

Wow. Allot of headhunters in on this one and no one knows for sure what's wrong yet.

Dan do the bounce test/video noted above and remove the splash well cover so you can see the lower jack plate bolt heads and do the same bounce test to see if the bolt heads pull into the pultrusion. Same for upper bolt heads located under the black pasties.

*If a transom failure occured prior to your purchase it should have been apparent during a thorough walk down of the boat. Who did that and did they look at the transom area extensively? Jack the boat off the bunks and check the hull?

If someone added some wide reinforcements under the bolt heads and tightened it up to reduce the gap. You'll see that.

If you got a $2500.00 estimate from anyone and they didn't pull that cover or do the bounce test then it's bogus.

16. Member
    I doubt a shop could properly fix that for $2500. If they can de-rig it, cut out the splashwell to access the knee braces and transom, reglass and reinforce everything, glass the splashwell back in place and do a metalflake spray job and address those stress fractures in the deck and re-rig the engine and all the components for 2500 bucks that's a bargain. I'd also be very leery of that bracket for mounting the shallow water anchors. If it's the sandwich style where the bracket is between the glass and the jack plate I would not be reinstalling it.

17. Member
    Go by yourself and run it till it falls off and call State Farm.... hello new boat.
    2015 189 trx

10-1 The previous owner knows ALL about this !! I'd get a couple more estimates on this, go back to the seller and get a refund to repair, or refund 100%. There's always Small Claims Court too. Might even check with Ranger to see about warrantee, who knows. BUT, do not run this as is !!! AND, do not attempt to "JerryRig" it either !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Oh he 100% knew. It’s clear someone tried to caulk it at some point. He stopped responding to my texts. I will seek legal counsel on Monday

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast