Choke Canyon Aug 1st

Gentlemen,

Just moved to San Antonio from Tennessee. Ventured down to Choke yesterday afternoon with my 10 year old son. We fished for about four hours without a bite. We started at the state park ramp and worked our way through some flooded timber not far away. Tried working the vegetation and weedlines between 8-20 of water and a handful of points that looked good on the map. No luck.

The lake looks amazing and I can't wait tog o back and try it again soon. I was blown away that I only saw two other boats all day long. I've always heard that choke is a big bass factory, so I'm confident that our lack of success was due to my lack of experience on that lake.

I was throwing medium running crankbaits and Texas rigged worms most of the day while my son was throwing white/chart spinnerbaits.

any tips would be helpful.

-Clint

2. Banned
    Other than that 14lbr caught a couple weeks ago I’ve heard nothing positive about the lake.

3. Bobby8
    I live in SA as well. Lake use to be great but the drought lowered the lake to dangerous levels. Lake caught a lot of water last fall,if I remember right. I have a feeling the tons of comrants down there had a field day on the bass and food chain. But with all the new flooded brush, if the water stays up, my buddy in TPWD says it should be pheniomal in 5 years. If you want some better choices give me a holler some time, Bobby 210 788 8360

4. Member
    Yes sir, the cormorants were plentiful! But we did see thousands of fingerling bass. Tons of them. This tells me that this years spawn was probably pretty good, which also indicates a healthy adult/breeding class population. Here’s hoping!!!!

Thanks for the offer, I’ll reach out to you soon. I have to take my son back to his mom on Tuesday, so I’d like to get one more trip in before he comes home.

5. Member
    If you are going Monday I suggest you try Fayette County Lake in LaGrange. Look up some reports on it and it will help you get your son on some fish. I'm thinking of going there myself early on Monday so if you see a red and white Legend flag me down.

6. Banned
    You need to realize that it is in the worst recharge zone, that a lake has ever been built. I’ve fished it for 25 years and I can only remember it being full 3 times. The lake came up something like 13 ft last year and this is the best spawn that the lakes had in a decade. It’s slow, it sucks, the fish are few and they have thousands of acres of grass & brush to hide in. It’s going to take 2 years to get good again, hopefully the lake doesn’t drop too fast though. It’s down 15’ now, which is way better than it’s been for many years. Last time it was full was around 2008-2010, something like that and yes...those were it’s glory years with multiple 15lb bass being caught during a tournament.

I bought a second house down in Three Rivers and have been fixing it up, instead of fishing; because I know how bad it is right now. Next spring it will start getting better.

If you want to see some truly amazing water, launch at the 99 bridge. It’s pretty much idle only, but it’s worth the view.

7. Member
    Thanks for that intel. We crossed the 99 bridge and made note. We will most likely launch there next time we go down there.

It's a shame, it's such a great looking lake with all of the vegetation and timber. Hopefully it improves soon.