Zinc trim tab Merc 150 4 stroke

I bought a new Merc 150 4 stroke last year on my Crestliner BassHawk. A buddy had to buy a new motor as his died. He bought the same motor. His had a trim tab with the fin on it. Mine is flat. My boat seems to handle fine. Any reason I don’t have one like his? Should I get one ?

2. Member
    Are the props exactly the same on both or has one been changed for some reason?
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!
    Dennis

3. Member
    I have a stainless. Can’t remember which model. His is aluminum.

mine is flat also on a 2019 pro xs

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Do you have hydraulic steering?

6. Member
    No

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trim tab can be used with the aluminum props (most), but usually NOT with Stainless (as there is often interference between the blades and the trim tab).

Usually not necessary with Hydraulic Steering (or NFB... No Feedback Cable Steering).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Good point. It looked like it would be tight with my prop as far as clearance goes. Handles fine as is. Thanks

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're welcome.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor