Thread: Holy Cow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BCB has stated that they recognize there's an issue. I betcha they do something about it!

I have items currently sitting in my cart but cant bring myself to checkout because of the shipping. At least BCB is aware of the issue and most likely, loss of sales. Hopefully it changes.

3. Member
    Agree.....shipping charges are crazy. I was going to order a Basscat coffee mug as a gift and the shipping was almost as high as the mug itself.

Shipping costs stink these days and some times do not make sense. I sent a few lures one state down a box no larger than 10" long and 5" deep. It was nearly $14 usps shipped from my work. Now I just sent a fury prop in a 20x20x8" box that was 16 lbs, to NY for $19 with 300 in insurance on it... So ya got me how they come up with the prices! Some times on smaller things its easier to source it straight from the manufacturer. However... I have found some things BCB uses online, that were cheaper from them less the shipping, then straight from a vendor. Got me!
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

5. Member
    How do TW, RMP, etc. provide free shipping on orders of $50 or more dollars? Their prices are as good or better than anywhere else, so its not like they are jacking them then offering "free" shipping.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    How do TW, RMP, etc. provide free shipping on orders of $50 or more dollars? Their prices are as good or better than anywhere else, so its not like they are jacking them then offering "free" shipping.
    Sheer volume of sales
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Column and lower margins without brick and mortar fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashew Chicken View Post
    BCB has stated that they recognize there's an issue. I betcha they do something about it!
    I am going to disagree, this was brought up a few years ago and here we are today still talking about it.

9. Member
    I've been to Mountain Home several times, there can't be that much stuff shipping from there so I would assume they would give BCB a better deal.
    im in the same boat, I've cancelled orders because of shipping costs and bought somewhere else

10. Member
    It all depends on the order. I have seen a couple of caps and a decal ship for 15.00, but 4 wheels were only 45.00. I can say calling gave me better shipping costs vs online.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Decals, small items could all be shipped USPS for a much better price.
    What about UPS? Its right around the corner from BCB?
    Yeah I was just wanting a decal that would have fit into a letter size envelope and 55 cents would have covered shipping. I called to request it, but FedEx at ~$15 was the cheapest option.

The parts and shipping platform is going under review again. It was reviewed prior and it was determined to leave it with only slight tweaks. Situations like the one above do challenge us as well. There is so much more to this, especially when our limited volumes compared to Bass Pro Shops, Amazon or WalMart are concerned.

Then you folks all love the personal service of Michael, Allan, Richard, Mike, Dorry, Rita or whomever in our facility that we enjoying hearing good comments on. Which is also why we don’t have an automated switchboard. That’s certainly a part of everything as something has to pay them as well. We don’t want to change our mantra over the decades of success. Thus costs are distributed more clearly where they exist. Then there is buying 100 custom new prefab boxes, sized to ship a fender, when we can’t get those for the price of buying 5,000 boxes we don’t need. There are many facets of this conversation.

We have almost 500 Google Review rating votes and we think there are 4 true negative ones of 11, there are some where the reviewer hit 1 Star because they thought that was the higher score. Several of the 1 Star scores placed great comments and just hit what they felt was highest. Of those we certainly understand frustration on a rusty trailer and we accept that.

However one was a decal just exactly as mentioned and it was for a fresh used boat owner of a now 30 year old 1989 model. We work hard and obviously we try to keep it on top, we also understand each of you deeply value your time and monies as well. Our Google review and rating average is a 4.6, with those 11 one star low levels. It seems very hard to protect a good rating with such a biased and unfair situation. Obviously the scale of acceptance is very broad.

The post on a .55 mail stamp expresses this, and is unrealistic, as we can also show the poster a recent email, online comment, and mentioned frustration. It required three different forms of communication within our staff, e-mail, Instant Message and multiple phone calls. And this is One of those 1 Star reviews on our Google Reviews is over a crinkled decal in the shipping, for a VERY old 1989 model boat. The issue was from a shipping company wrinkling the decal, and that one was cardboard sandwich packed inside the hard envelope.

We replaced the decal no problem and at no charge, though now we can’t retract the bad review. And don’t bother filing a claim with FedEx as we surely did something wrong. It’s like all of us wondering why Amazon shipped a two inch widget inside a 15” box, simplifying packaging processes, vehicle organization and secure delivery are some of the reasons.

A business has several areas and impacts on real time costs and we aren’t machine lining deliveries on a conveyor line as they do in an Amazon warehouse. That volume and picker method does not exist for us, thus our costs are higher than a bulk warehouse. The parts are one thing, though some of this we either charge more for the parts, or more for packaging and shipping.

Here is one we are living ourselves right now:
    For an example you drive to Home Depot and you think that’s not too bad, you just dropped in and bought a major item... It takes you time and no one pays you for it.

If we as a business sent a driver to that side of town its at least 25 minutes, it’s about 10 miles to Home Depot. Then there’s a reason the IRS allows compensation of .56 to .57 a mile for personal vehicle use. Having calculated true mileage cost on delivery trucks for decades, that’s close enough. On the two leg trip we have $10.40 in vehicle and fuel costs. Then our couriers time (2 hours), health insurance, Workman’s Comp, FICA, Unemployment costs, store time, load, unload, tie down, and by the time we get done that looked like a real company Cost of about $70. Just sendIng ‘Bob’ to town is not free.

We had Home Depot deliver the Part for $79 and probably really saved money if the driver stopped by McDonalds and grabbed a sweet tea on the run, and they will be distracted somewhere. Let alone reducing the out of office liability, or the productive benefit of having that person staying engaged on core duties inside the facility.

Businesses have a real time cost and we sell dozens of parts over the counter a week. Those visiting us here will also be paying for potion of those shipping costs if we balance the pricing. That also was a concern.

As mentioned we are reviewing those charges and pricing again. It is in process.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 08-10-2019 at 11:07 AM.

13. Member
    Well said and profit is not a dirty word.

14. Member
    It must be where I live (which is in the middle of no where), but my shipping prices from BCB have always been good.
    I do usually wait till I have a few items.
    Example:
    I just added to the cart
    - 1 ea. Domed PII decal. Shipping, $8.69
    - 2ea. Bass Cat Hull decals, Shipping, unchanged.
    - 1 ea. Aluminum deck plug, shipping unchanged
    - 1 ea. 15 foot mooring rope, Shipping $9.55.
    All going thru USPS.

I was able to continue adding items, and shipping went up less than a dollar after the 4th added item.
    Thats how I shop the BCB store.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    BassCat shipping is very high. Not sure why its that way. I do as Bitman suggested. I wait until around Christmas to order things. They usually have free shipping or maybe $5 or $10 flat shipping rates during that time of year. Other than that, I drive up to Sherm's and get the part from him. He usually has what I'm looking for.
    What I do if possible.

16. Member
    We need the emoji of "beating a dead horse" for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    We need the emoji of "beating a dead horse" for this thread.
    87F139D9-F631-4607-B844-CD143D2F82D2.jpeg
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12