Motorguide X-5 Direction Arrow

Does anyone have a permanent Fix for the direction arrow on this motor ?

2. Member
    I have been running the same motor for 3 years and have the same problem . I don’t think there is a fix . I have just gotten use to it not being correct most of the time . Hoping to get a new motor guide tour pro and make the x5 a spare .

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph McB View Post
    are you referring to the piece with the gear breaking? I filled the hollow part with epoxy after that no more break, and always in line.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    Not sure if it breaks, but it does Slip out of position. I will take another look. Thanks

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    this gear has a hollow shaft inside and is bad to break, also sometimes the slippage is just this pin slipping , you can add a drop of glue to secure the pin but then more likely to break the shaft, I remove the pin and fill the hollow area with epoxy and put a dab of sealer on the pin, no more break or slip
    2019-08-02-16.00.jpg
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    If it's just slipping on you and not actually breaking, the solution is the turn the lower unit with the foot pedal before you stow it to be pointing the same direction as when it is stowed. Yes, it's annoying, but it's less annoying than constantly having to reset the arrow by hand. It slips when you stow it as the mount pushes the lower unit into place, spinning it faster than the motor wants to be turned.

7. Member

Check for missing upper bearing

Quote Originally Posted by Murph McB View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but am replying in the event it helps someone else with the same issue.

I've had the arrow issue for several years. Not a huge problem except when you have an "emergency" (rocks, etc.). Finally took it apart and discovered the shaft would move about 1/8" when pushing the pedal. This is enough to cause the arrow gear to slip or completely miss...but why so much play?

I discovered the upper bearing was missing from the factory. I expect this will solve the issue.

Unfortunately, the warranty is done and Motorguide support will not assist even though it was a manufacturing error. Oh well, should have opened the top sooner, but still disappointing from a customer retention standpoint. Buying bearings tonight, but after 40 years as a Motorguide customer I will be looking at alternatives next time.