Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Tanks ! .....Oh oh ...sounds like i need something else....

Quote Originally Posted by Dontheduck View Post
    Tanks ! .....Oh oh ...sounds like i need something else....
    I posted screen shots of the DI view for the Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3 in post #2 and #3.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Just got off the phone , the best of both worlds is looking like model 410860 -1 9" ...more than double the price ! *** or a helix 8 in the same configuration....
    Last edited by Dontheduck; 08-20-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: ***I called them back ..

4. Member
    Dontheduck, I had two of the Helix 7 G3 Mega SI units. Have returned both of them to the store. Wayne is right. The down imaging was horrible in my opinion. Side imaging was amazing and 2D sonar was good..... I called humminbird about the issue and was told that there’s true down imaging on the Helix 7 G3 Mega SI, but it was clear to me that the person working for humminbird had no idea what they were talking about. They should really state on the box that it’s not true down imaging. I’ve ran across a few people with the same complaints. Don’t waste your time and money on the 7.

5. Member
    So wayne....the 7 is out ..what do ya buy with all the same goodies as the 7 i listed but with the DI basscast needs, myself i can do without the builtin maps an my lab dont care about networking as i fish only rivers ..etc ..lol !

All the current Helix 7, Helix 8, Helix 9, Helix 10, and Helix 12's have GPS and built-in mapping with the capability to add map cards from Navionics and Lakemaster. They also have built-in contour map creation software.
    All the models above the Helix 7 have networking capability.

All the second and third generation SI models above the Helix 7 have true Down Imaging.

Your choices are screen size and sonar technology.
    There are CHIRP models ----2D sonar only
    There are DI models---2D and Down Imaging
    There are SI models---2D, Down Imaging, and Side Imaging.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Dontheduck View Post
    So wayne....the 7 is out ..what do ya buy with all the same goodies as the 7 i listed but with the DI basscast needs, myself i can do without the builtin maps an my lab dont care about networking as i fish only rivers ..etc ..lol !
    One more trait to consider:

Side Imaging records from the top of the screen to the bottom so the size of recorded objects is based on the width of the display if all the models use the same SI Range setting.
    Soooooo, it's highly recommended to get the largest display size within your budget and even stretch it if you can.

"BIGGER is better" certainly applies.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    I have a Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2. I haven't spent much time looking at down imaging as side imaging is new to me and I have been spending most of my time there.
    I took Wayne's recommendation and upgraded to the H.D. ducer and side imaging looks great.
    Gonna take a look now at down imaging and see and compare to the 597 I have on the bow. Anyway this is direct from Humminbird's website for my Helix 7:

CHIRP Side Imaging: Filter out noise and clutter for a clearer view of the world below. It's the perfect blend of CHIRP Digital Sonar precision and Side Imaging detail—with 480 feet of side-to-side coverage.
    CHIRP Down Imaging: Filter out noise and clutter for a clearer view beneath your boat. It's the perfect blend of CHIRP Digital Sonar precision and Down Imaging detail.

If it's not true down imaging that's kind of false advertising. I'll have to see what it actually looks like before I feel ripped off. I probably would have noticed if it looked like crap while scrolling through the views.
    Last edited by CoachKWJ; 08-22-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    When all else fails, go fishing.

9. Member
    Well I definitely feel ripped off. Compared the DI of my Helix 7 with my 10 plus year old 597 and to put it bluntly it sux. I wish I would have read this thread and known about this sooner. Would have definitely went another way. Not much I can do now I guess as I've had the unit since last December. This to me is false advertising. Box has nice pretty pictures on it, Humminbird website says what I pasted above, and what you get is what Wayne describes. Kind of a best effort but not the real thing. On.the bright side side imaging is good and unit is great for ice fishing although I had to buy $100.00 lithium battery because it draws so much power. Been a Humminbird guy since the Super 60 but will definitely do a lot more research before my next purchase. Longshot but gonna call Humminbird and see if I can trade this in. Disappointed to say the least.
    When all else fails, go fishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12