Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 X21 250 sho.

I have a 2019 X21 with a 250 sho. Not happy with speed and it porpoise as soon as I back off on the gas. I have heard of some people getting a new prop . Is this working and where are you going to get one.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

Are you running the Powertech that came with it? If so, remove that and throw it in the trash, or use as a door stop, paper weight, etc. Try a 26 Tempest or a 27 Bravo.

3. Member
    Choice #2. Call Power Tech and speak with Jared. Explain your situation and see what he recommends. If your prop is undamaged they should do an exchange and more than likely will want you to go through your dealer. Not all PT props are junk. Xpress is simply not putting the right props on.
    2018 Express X19 Yamaha 175 VMAX SHO

Quote Originally Posted by GJS View Post
    Choice #2. Call Power Tech and speak with Jared. Explain your situation and see what he recommends. If your prop is undamaged they should do an exchange and more than likely will want you to go through your dealer. Not all PT props are junk. Xpress is simply not putting the right props on.
    Exactly. PT gets a bad rap because Xpress or the dealer puts a bay boat prop on a bass boat. I'm running a TR04 and the boat turns like it's on rails and handles like a dream. No porpoise. No chine walk. It's actually quite boring to drive. I'm going to test a Tempest Plus to gain a little speed and "loosen it up" a bit.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinTN View Post
    Exactly. PT gets a bad rap because Xpress or the dealer puts a bay boat prop on a bass boat. I'm running a TR04 and the boat turns like it's on rails and handles like a dream. No porpoise. No chine walk. It's actually quite boring to drive. I'm going to test a Tempest Plus to gain a little speed and "loosen it up" a bit.
    I see your rig in the sig, mind if I ask what speed you are getting, I have the same motor on my 2014
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

I'm getting 59 mph consistently but my PTP is 4 and 3/4 and my RPMs are only 5400. I'm hoping that raising my motor an inch or 2 will get me in the low 60s and closer to 6k.
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

7. Member
    I am about the same speed but run 2 12 foot talons and big batteries. Run 60 hot and 64 cold. I tried every setting there is and 4" works best for my rig. 52-5500 is the recommended RPM for our motors. I am running 5350

Quote Originally Posted by rolopayne View Post
    I am about the same speed but run 2 12 foot talons and big batteries. Run 60 hot and 64 cold. I tried every setting there is and 4" works best for my rig. 52-5500 is the recommended RPM for our motors. I am running 5350
    What prop are you running? Our manuals say 5500 RPM but the limiter is set at 6200 so everyone says run it at 6k. I definitely want my engine to last a long time. Really 2 or 3 MPH doesn't even matter but we always want to max out everything. I see 19' glass boat guys with 175s claiming 65 mph so I wonder why I can't get that.
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJS View Post
    Called power tech today Jared was gone for the day but The one I spoke to took my info .Seemed to be very nice . said they would call back Monday and would get it taken care of.Maube it will be fine.
    LIFE IS GOOD

They are right about the Power Tech props not for bass boat a Yamaha T1 25 will mat the handle and run great.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

11. Member
    Check your throttle cable as well to make sure your getting WOT. Had this issue with mine only getting a little over 3/4 open with hotfoot to floor.
    2015 X19 200 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinTN View Post
    What prop are you running? Our manuals say 5500 RPM but the limiter is set at 6200 so everyone says run it at 6k. I definitely want my engine to last a long time. Really 2 or 3 MPH doesn't even matter but we always want to max out everything. I see 19' glass boat guys with 175s claiming 65 mph so I wonder why I can't get that.

I am running a 24 tempest plus that i had worked to a 25 with extra cup, seems to work well on my boat, still have some low speed porpoising but i have learned to deal with it. I do see a lot of guys claim that speed but none of them pass me at blastoff time.

The Xpress Elite Series guys are running 24 T2's. They are running heavy, but the performance is still respectable.

14. Member
    My x19 came with 25 pt boat was a handful over 65 no real porpoising but just really bad chine swapped to a 25 txp total different boat 72.3 empty 68.4 all day tourney load. Got the 300 flash last year and now runnin 27 pitch at 74 tourney load all day touched 78 empty before I ran out of ⚾️‘S.
    2015 X19 200 SHO

15. Member
    I talked to Jared today he sending a 4 blade prop to try. He seems to be a great guy
    LIFE IS GOOD

Not trying to be an a$$, but until you move on from powertech you won't achieve the potential of your rig. Doesn't matter what prop they send you. I love Xpress boats, I've met with Tim Bray at the factory. I really like what they're doing there. There are a few things that I don't like personally, and that's the props they are sending out and the dizzying SeaDek designs. You have an amazing rig, tharris811. I hope you're able to get it to perform to your satisfaction.
    Last edited by Cashew Chicken; 08-08-2019 at 07:37 AM.

17. Member
    Cashew Chicken what prop should I run. I don't mind buying a prop I just have to be right the 1st time. Don't want to have to buy 2 are 3 to get it right.
    LIFE IS GOOD

I've given you recommendations above. If you're a tournament guy and run the boat super heavy, with Talons or Poles a 24 T2 has been working well for the Xpress Pro's on the Elite Series (I talk to these guys often via msg). If running light and looking for max performance, a 26 Tempest or 27 Bravo. I have access to Bill Lowen's 2018 X-21, it runs like a scalded dog with a 26 Tempest. The boat is basically empty, but it does have dual Talons.

19. Member
    Talked to power tech they are sending a new 4 blade (guess I will the test dummy) . Going to see what it does. Should get it Monday are Tuesday
    LIFE IS GOOD

20. Member
    Update on the x21. I was told a couple of things to do by some folks . I did them Friday . It ran like a different boat. You could not make it porpoise at 60 mph you could let go of the steering wheel & drink a water going down the river BUT it would only do 60mph. I happen to run upon a tempest 26 prop like Cashew Chicken. told me to get bought it. I will try it tomorrow are maybe Wednesday. Hopping it is a little faster and still handles like it does now.
    LIFE IS GOOD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast