Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Boat size for 25 hp motor

They built a new lake near my house that is 5 miles long and has a 25 hp limit on any boat. What size / length boat should I look at ? Good tin boat brands? With just the boat, motor, trailer and trolling motor (no electronics) what can I expect to spend?
    thanks

2. Member
    War Eagle 548LDV W/ 25 HP Mercury 4 Stroke w/ Tilt & Trim $12,500 plus or minus a few hundred.

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Check out the bass tracker v bottom i think its the laker 16 tiller model. If I recall it can be had for less than 9k.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

4. Member
    Don't know if you have a Lund dealer near you, but his is a nice 16 rig that works pretty well with a 25.
    Pedestal seats, rod storage, etc. https://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/1600-fury/

5. Member
    I would look for a used 1648 with a 25hp.

6. Member
    Thanks guys. I will look at Lund and Tracker for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I would look for a used 1648 with a 25hp.
    I had that same set up. It was stable and moved me along pretty good. If I was in the market again, that’s exactly what I’d buy.

8. Banned
    I had a 2003 Xpress H51 (17 ft mod V) with a Merc 25hp 2 stroke, and top end was around 28 gps

9. Member
    Lowe 160
    "No man stands taller than one who stoops to help a child"

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Tracker welded Jon (Grizzly) with 25hp 2 stroke, assuming you are primarily Bass fishing, Otherwise, maybe consider something w a mod V Hull. The priorities for me would be as much HP as your budget will allow, a good trolling motor, and a 2S motor. I have yet to see a lower HP 4S that is worth a pint of hoowey
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

11. Banned
    16 footer

12. Member
    I would look used and try to find a boat with a blown motor then buy a 25 HP for it. The reason I would do this is because I hate small boats except when there is no alternative. If you buy a boat rated for a 25, it will be small. If you buy one used with a 25 on it, it will probably be small. Usually the beam is narrow on these boats. They are hard to walk around in and be comfortable and safe. The storage is bad. I have had it for Florida and got rid of it. They are tippy and easy to fall out of >> ask me.

The lake you describe is 5 miles long. You don't really care about speed with 5 miles to travel at the most. Buy for comfort and stability and storage and safety. I would look at Craigslist, call dealers, motor repair shops and look online. I would find a good larger used safe hull with storage and buy a new 25 for it. Then I would put a Ultrex on it.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

13. Member
    All good points. Thanks everyone.

14. Member
    Can't go wrong with a 16 foot Lund.

15. Member
    Tracker classic they come with a 50HP but you can downsize the motor, and with a 50HP they sell @ 9999.00
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

16. Member
    I have a Express HD 16DDP that I ran a 25HP Yamaha on and it ran really well. The boat has no storage except a little compartment up front. I liked it because of the floor space and nothing to step over. I put rod straps on each side for four rods. A large ice chest for a Live well and a Ultrex Tm and I have caught many of fish from it and it is tough as nails.
    Boat and aluminum trailer about 5500.00 plus motor cost.

17. Member
    Keep the weight of the fully loaded boat under 1000 pounds (hull, motor, batteries, trolling motor, fuel, gear, but not you) if you are mostly going to fish solo, and lighter than that if you want to fish two people and still get it up on plane easy enough.

18. Member
    I looked at quite a few boats today. As many said above, a 16 foot boat is very small and narrow with no storage. And they cost +/- $14 - 18k. I also looked at some +/- 17 footers for only a couple of thousand more. I also looked at some used boats and to get the size I want at a reasonable cost I think I need to find a used 17 to 17.5 foot boat. I think FloridaFlyer had the best idea. I need to find a 17.5 foot in good condition with no motor or a blown motor and put a 25 hp on it.

My next question is, will a 25hp push a 17.5 foot boat sufficiently on the small lakes I will be on? Thanks so much for all your help.

19. Member
    I think you will be looking at 20-23 mph range depending on how it’s loaded. A 4 inch jack plate and A 2 stroke outboard will get you the best performance. If buying new then the Evinrude etec 25 will be your only choice. My understanding is this is a very strong 25 motor.

20. Member
    After another day of looking at boats (in person and on the internet), I seem to be falling for the Lund Renegade 1775. The standard boat weight is listed at 1200 lb. Could a 25 hp motor push this boat up on the pad? Could it reach 20 mph on a boat this size? Would a hydraulic jack plate help it get on plane? Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast