Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    A 25 hp motor is not going to get any fishing boat with a pad up on pad. If the boat is light enough you might get it on plane, but not all the way up on pad. If you just go with something like a 1652 flatbottom jon, it will run quite well, but that boat doesnt' have a pad - just a flat bottom.

2. Member
    You are right, I mis-spoke. I didn't mean fully up on pad. I meant on top of the water as opposed to plowing through it.
    Thanks

3. Member
    I had a 1648 Alumacraft with a 25 Nissan 2 stroke. These motors can be modded very easy to about 35 hp. Just a timing and carb gasket change. I built a front and rear deck and plenty of storage. It would run great and get on plane easily with two guys aboard. If I was in the market for a hp limited lake boat I would build pretty much the same boat again.

4. Member
    Just get a 250 hp motor and paint over the last digit so it only says 25.

5. Member
    I had a Tracker Grizzly 1648 with the tiller handle four stroke merc with power trim and electric start. I added a 12 volt trolling motor, pedastal seats, and a rod locker.

I’ve had 4 tournament bass rigs with 250s. But this little setup is still my favorite fishing boat. The four stroke 25 has a ton of torque. It will run 26-27 mph on plane, and can be trimmed nicely. My son used it to fish tournaments when he was in high school by adding an ice chest with a battery powered aerator for a livewell. The trailer was easy and durable. My total cost out the door was around 9k new, but that was a few years ago and not sure what it is now.

6. Member
    Crestliner Storm 1600!!! 18gal livewell, 8’ rod locker! I heard of features on a 16’ boat. Mine has a 20hp on it and I top out at about 18-20mph loaded with gear.

7. Member
    I fish several 25 hp limit lakes . The triton,ranger,tracker 17 foot rigs with a 25 do get on plane but are very weight sensative . With two smaller guys most do alright . The ones with two bubbas and a full livewell they plow a lot of water. Some 25s are stronger than others . If you are looking at a new motor the etec is the way to go . A number of older models can be hopped up if you wanted to go that route .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I would look for a used 1648 with a 25hp.

I have a 1648 with a 40hp tiller - never though I would say this - but the 40hp is way too much motor for this boat. 33mph top end, a 25hp on this boat is perfect.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by piketroller View Post
    A 25 hp motor is not going to get any fishing boat with a pad up on pad. If the boat is light enough you might get it on plane, but not all the way up on pad. If you just go with something like a 1652 flatbottom jon, it will run quite well, but that boat doesnt' have a pad - just a flat bottom.
    25hp 2 stroke Mercury EASILY got my padded Xpress H51 on pad.....EASILY!
    xpress at dock.jpg

10. Member
    I had a 16' Weldcraft with a 20hp - ran fast for this private lake, but horrible fishing out of (hope the guy in the back stayed in the middle). Switched nearly 3 years ago to a RT178 and it is slow, but once you are fishing, it is as stable as you can get. So you may have to decide which matters the most - speed to get you to the spot, or fishability once you get there. I'm guessing your cost (new) will be around $20,000 total if you go with cheaper electronics and TM or $25,000 if you go with spot lock TM, higher end graphs, etc.

11. Member
    My 145 Alumacraft escape is perfect for a 25 hp. Cost is right where you want. I have the tiller, more room. It's a great fishing boat. Boat and trailer were about 7000$ got my suzuki 20 hp online from portaboats for 3300$(electric start, power tilt). Rigged it all myself. It's a smallboat, but in the tiller version quite a bit of room, put the trolling motor down, stand up front and it's all fishing!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

12. Member
    Mike has a great idea. Gonna buy a fold down cleat to put in the driver area.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

13. Member
    A 1648MV would be a good choice.

I had one with a 40 horse on it and it was amazing but I am sure a 25 would push it nicely.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

14. Member
    You aren't going to get anywhere fast with a 25, you will be able to out run the 9.9's. I really enjoyed my old Fisher Marine with a 25 HP Mariner tiller. Today, that boat would be considered junk. Rivets were leaking in the first three years I owned it. My bilge pump was reaching down and pulling the plug in-between spots. The entire rig didn't weigh much. I could feel the floor flex running ripped water. All that being said I fished all over Santee Cooper with that rig and caught a ton of fish.

I agree with Piketroller, if you want something somewhat nimble put that 25 on a 14 or 15' Jon Boat. Strap a couple seats on the benches and rig you a cooler live well, lights, and a trolling motor. You can put a depth finder on a Johnny Ray mount and use it from the front or back. Keep It Simple!

I have a buddy that built a 14' topper with decks, trolling motor etc...With the trailer, trolling motor, lights. 5 HP Merc, he has about 6K in the entire rig new. You could likely get away with an electric rig on a 5 mile lake.

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I used to fish Jon Boat tourneys and the rules were 14’ and 25hp. If I were you I would get a 16-17’ hull, mod v or Jon boat, whatever your preference and build the boat.

Building a couple casting decks, adding storage, installing a trolling motor are all easy and I liked that aspect of it.

If you really want a fishing boat then try to find a name brand 17’ with a blown motor and just put the 25 on it. This option would make the most sense if you're going to fish that lake pretty exclusively.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Member
    I have an old glass 14' boat with a 25 tiller that I paid $800 for and use mostly in the rivers in FL. Has a transom trolling motor that I turned around and mounted in the front. Pretty stable and runs 29 mph with most of the bottom in the water.

17. Member
    1448 tracker Grizzly with 25 hp Mercury tiller.
    stable and works fine for small waters or hp restricted waters.

I’ve had 2 tracker 175s and a 178 with a 25hp since there are so many 25hp restricted lakes in my area. The 178 seemed to handle a 25 better since it sat more flat in the water than the trackers. Seemed to take less effort to get on plane. As mentioned before they were all extremely weight sensitive so choose your battery options carefully if you’re going to run a 24V trolling motor (lithium or 2 dual purpose rather than traditional crank/2 TM battery setups is best). Also, don’t expect a lot in the way of performance and just have fun fishing quieter lakes without having to deal with bigger boat traffic.
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I would look for a used 1648 with a 25hp.
    Thats what I have, only with a 15 HP 2 stroke Johnson with 9.9 decals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12