Thread: Which rod

Which rod

Looking for the best jig rod for 1/2 jigs around heavy cover my main body of water is the California delta lots of grass and cover and monster bass. im thinking conquest 904c orochi xx brailist or kistler zbone 7'6 mh or heavy the mh is rated up to 3/4 oz while the heavy is 1/2-2oz so im not to sure if the heavy is to powerful or the mh is not powerful enough. From what im seeing online the brailist and conquest 904c may have the same action both throw 3/8-1oz and both have more softer tips will these rods handle what i want or am i way off

2. Member
    Don’t own either but suggest the 894 glx or nrx. If you want something a tad slower a 76mhmf st croix
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    https://tackletrap.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=14409

I would look at one of these. It’s not a heavy rod. Prob slower than then 904

4. Member
    I narrowed my search down to the 904c conquest or orochi braillist and the kistler z bone 7'6 mh or heavy wondering which one is the best

5. Member
    Can't endorse Kistler. Got one and it's been a headache forever. Micro-Guides keep coming off.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

6. Member
    For your use I would definitely get the H not mh
    Nitro z21

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
    https://tackletrap.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=14409

I would look at one of these. It’s not a heavy rod. Prob slower than then 904
    I would probably go with the Perfect Pitch over the Braillist if you are near heavy cover.

I think Heavy is a better choice based on where you are and gives you room for error.

There are a few Kistler Zbone Vids on youtube of various powers. Here is a MH video

H

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny marks View Post
    I narrowed my search down to the 904c conquest or orochi braillist and the kistler z bone 7'6 mh or heavy wondering which one is the best

Ok but your say big fish and heavy cover

I think I’d look at a more powerful Megabass rod myself

9. Member
    I use a dobyns champion xp 735 and a champion extreme hp 745 for jigs and t rigs. Absolutely love these rods. If you can afford it grt the 745 hp . Its more sensitive and has a better feel in the hand.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny marks View Post
    Flip a coin between the zbone and the conquest. The thing that concerns me about the zbones is that they are all rated moderate. I would assume they are rated this way because the blank is so light that a faster rating is not possible. I like an xfast tip with flipping so that I can set the hook as soon as I feel a tap, but the zbone probably does just fine. I assume the braillist is in the hunt because it looks the coolest. I too have always wanted a MB because it is one slick looking rod, but after researching with sensitivity as my main goal, I always choose something else. I will probably grab one someday off the classifieds just so I can admire the craftsmanship. That sucks about TableRocks issue. I have emailed Kistler several times and the owner always responded within an hour. Its a family business and I am surprised that they have not just replaced your rod.

11. Member
    I own the gen2 brallist along with mostly nrx and IMO it fishes way out of its league for the price. Its my go to 1/2oz jig rod along with a 894 nrx.

The St Croix 7ft4H Legend Elite is a damn good rod to, fast becoming one of my all time favorites.... great 1/2 jig rod and i fish 3/4 once jigs in deep water brush piles....

I would take the Conquest myself.

The Daiwa Steez AGS 76H is an awesome jig rod around cover and makes a great deep water jig/worm rod as well. It's extremely sensitive, well balanced, and has great reserve power. I agree with Black Haze, the St. Croix Legend Elite 74 is another fantastic choice. The Megabass XX Braillist is an outstanding rod as well, but if you're going Megabass, I'd prefer either the XX Perfect Pitch or the Destroyer Valdiva for heavy cover and monster bass. So many rods, so little time