Thread: Digital scales

Digital scales

My old rapala one just died. I checked out lots of different scales and almost all of them have a lot bad reviews. I don't want to go to a mechanical yet. Can get any suggestions from those who have tried multiple digital scales? Thanks.

2. Member

I got the Gambler scale when it first came out and love it. I haven't had any of the problems people listed on the Tackle Warehouse reviews. Not sure what's up, but mine has been great. And I went through a bunch of different scales, including a Rapala. They all crapped out on me until this one.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    I got the Gambler scale when it first came out and love it. I haven't had any of the problems people listed on the Tackle Warehouse reviews. Not sure what's up, but mine has been great. And I went through a bunch of different scales, including a Rapala. They all crapped out on me until this one.
    Same here. My Gambler scales has worked great for me for several years now

5. Member
    My Accucull scale has been great, but I just got a Rapala Tournament Scale and got to use it in a tournament this past weekend and its awesome. Proven very accurate compared to official tournament scale. Its a huge timesaver for tournaments.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

6. Member
    Rapala high contrast works well for me.

7. Member
    Been very happy with my Accu Cull digital scale. Seems very accurate with weights and very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Rapala high contrast works well for me.
    X2

Used to have the touch screen model and while it worked great, I learned that touch screens don't work the best with wet fingers. Add cold weather to the mix and it's even worse. I also felt like it was unnecessarily complicated. The high contrast is just as accurate, has real buttons, and is simpler to use. It's smaller too, for whatever that's worth. My weight per my scale is reliably 1/2 lb lighter than what it weighs at weigh-in, the difference brought about by the mesh weigh bag.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I have this one , it is one tough scale..All metal. I keep it in the truck , in the heat , still works as good as it did the day I got it (about 3 years). Lights up orange at night.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weig...sporting-goods

10. Member
    Been a while since I caught one big enough to use a scale, but I have the accu cull and I've been happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Been a while since I caught one big enough to use a scale, but I have the accu cull and I've been happy with it.
    My culling process has sped up so dramatically since I started weighing all my fish and storing all the weights. The balance beam only needs to come out now if they’re within a few hundredths. It took me a while to trust my scale that much, to be fair, but I’ve reweighed fish a bunch of times only to get the same weight within a hundredth, and many times they will weigh exactly the same. In fact, most times when I do get a different weight, I end up finding something in the livewell at the end of the tournament.

Even with the ones I do balance beam (usually if they’re within 5 hundredths or so), I can’t recall a situation where the scale didn’t correctly identify the right one to toss back. That technology has come a long way in the last 10 years or so! It might be worth trying out!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    Having run a metrology department until I recently retired, I can tell you the Brecknell like used on MLF are dead accurate, but reliability and longevity suck. Most of the other digital brands I've checked were anywhere from close to 11.5% off. And there was variation on the same brands. Rapala seems to be reliable so far. I carry a Brecknell for accuracy but a Rapala for reliable backup, and if needed, I carry a balance beam. I have the floats where you dial in each weight, so weighing each fish is faster culling for me than any balance beam.