Charging system questions.

97 150 EFI. Something has been drawing the battery down. That could be an issue within itself or could the charging system somehow do that? Second I am not sure that my charging system is performing properly. First my rpm gauge started bouncing around like a ping pong ball. Then it died. I replaced it. That one worked ok for like 1 trip. Now no rpms.... someone suggested my voltage regulator might be bad causing this. I don’t know. Finally what would my output voltage from the stator and from the voltage regulators be so I would know which parts to eliminate one by one. Thanks in advance.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lots of good info for that engine in the next forum down (2.5L models).

Good idea to do a quick visual inspection of the Stator and Voltage Regulators FIRST. Look for any burnt, melted or discolored bobbins on the stator.

Look for any burnt, blackened or brown bullet connectors on the RED or YELLOW wires of the Voltage Regulators.

If you note this on the regulator- they are replaced IN PAIRS (also replace any damaged connectors).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Well I was under the impression by the title of the page that, THAT page was for racing style, or modded engines. My bad I will post on there instead.

4. Member
    oem only regs also please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................