Guide size input please

On a couple builds I put together (this the help of guys here) a Fuji guide set I really like, now I’m going to a shorter rod and want your input again.
    On a 7’2” (spinning) I put together a guide set consisting of; KL-H guides, 20H, 10H, 5.5m, KT running 5, (6) 4.5’s then tip top.
    I’m building a 6’10” (spinning) and i am looking for the right fit. I’m thinking; KL-H 16H, 8m, 5.5L, KT running 5, (5) 4.5’s. What do you think?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    Will be a 2500 size spinning reel
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

3. Member
    http://anglersresource.net/KRGPS.aspx

This will tell you exactly what you need, to do a KR concept guide train. It doesn't get any easier than that. And it doesn't get any better than a KR concept guide train on a spinning rod.

With a KR concept guide train the determining factors are reel size, line type and line size. The length of the rod is a non factor when it comes to guide size. And it's a non factor when setting up the guide spacing of the reduction train and the placement of the choke guide. With a KR concept guide train, the only thing rod length affects is the number of running guides you're going to need.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    http://anglersresource.net/KRGPS.aspx

This will tell you exactly what you need, to do a KR concept guide train. It doesn't get any easier than that. And it doesn't get any better than a KR concept guide train on a spinning rod.

With a KR concept guide train the determining factors are reel size, line type and line size. The length of the rod is a non factor when it comes to guide size. And it's a non factor when setting up the guide spacing of the reduction train and the placement of the choke guide. With a KR concept guide train, the only thing rod length affects is the number of running guides you're going to need.
    Yep, I've pretty much been using this for the past few years and it makes setting up a spinning rod much easier.

5. Goby King
    My normal reduction on ML and most M rods is 16H, 8H, 5.5M, then my running guides.

6. Member
    After having met Don Morton many years ago i have used his graph. It is simple to use and i have yet to see any other method for locating guides as good as his. Your experiences may be different. Takes about 10 minutes to set the guides up. My normal setup is 16H, 10H, 6 fly guide, then 5 or 5.5 fly guide runners.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7204034

7. Member
    Can I just use regular fly guides for the runners or do you recommend the KT runnings guides?

Allen

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    Can I just use regular fly guides for the runners or do you recommend the KT runnings guides?

Allen
    On a spinning rod the KT's are supposed to help with line wrap when using braid. I have tried both and see no huge difference with braid and zero difference with mono. I will sometimes put a slight bend in the regular guides. I use both styles so in my opinion both will work for you, it's your choice.

9. Member
    For me the kt's make a big difference,when the braid does wrap around I point the tip down at the water and shake the rod a couple of times,the line falls off and it's back to fishing.With L frame fly guides you need to reach up and unwrap it.Granted getting the braid wrapped around the tip is mostly operator error.

10. Member
    I am using 6lb floro no braid.

Allen

11. Member
    floro and mono shouldn,t miss behave like braid,snake style fly guides probably not a good choice

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpbass View Post
    floro and mono shouldn,t miss behave like braid,snake style fly guides probably not a good choice

I have a bunch of CLAG guides I bought in size 5 that I was hoping to use.

Allen

13. Member
    your good to go brother