Prop Install Gap?

I switched out props yesterday and when I did I noticed that there's about a 3/16" - 1/4" gap at the front of the prop. I can't remember if it was the same way on my existing prop? Is this ideal? Pictures below....

Last edited by Meadows; 07-31-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    That does look like it sits out a bit farther than normal. Are you sure you've got the right thrust washer?
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    That does look like it sits out a bit farther than normal. Are you sure you've got the right thrust washer?
    Yes.. actually the new prop I just installed came with a new Flo Torq kit and I was planning on installing it as well since it's new, and I couldn't get my old thrust washer off to put the new one on.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Banned
    Looks normal to me.

I ran into this exact same thing several days ago when installing my new 23P Tempest Plus to replace the original 24P Tempest Plus. I sent pics to Michael at Bass Cat where I bought the prop and he showed it to one of their mechanics. It seems normal as long as you are sure that you torqued the nut to the 55 ft lbs spec. After getting back to me, I checked the nut and it was way under torqued. After torquing it down to 55 the gap decreased a little but, was still wider than my original prop. You should be good to go as long as you torque it right.

By the way, I also used the new hub kit that came with the prop and the plastic insert was so tight that I had to beat it in with a plastic mallet. Seems this is normal too. Was your insert also very tight?

Original prop

Other boat with 24 Tempest (2).JPG

New prop

This boat with new 23 Tempest (2).JPG
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

6. Member
    Tempest props with the forward coned washer torque to 100 lbs not 55 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rkammer View Post
    I ran into this exact same thing several days ago when installing my new 23P Tempest Plus to replace the original 24P Tempest Plus. I sent pics to Michael at Bass Cat where I bought the prop and he showed it to one of their mechanics. It seems normal as long as you are sure that you torqued the nut to the 55 ft lbs spec. After getting back to me, I checked the nut and it was way under torqued. After torquing it down to 55 the gap decreased a little but, was still wider than my original prop. You should be good to go as long as you torque it right.

By the way, I also used the new hub kit that came with the prop and the plastic insert was so tight that I had to beat it in with a plastic mallet. Seems this is normal too. Was your insert also very tight?

Original prop

Other boat with 24 Tempest (2).JPG

New prop

This boat with new 23 Tempest (2).JPG
    When you say plastic insert, are you talking about the hub insert? Mine wasn't too bad, but the thrust washer from the existing prop wasn't coming off so I just left it on there.

I didn't torque mine down because I don't have a torque wrench, but it was as tight as these biceps could get em! I need to go buy a torque wrench!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Tempest props with the forward coned washer torque to 100 lbs not 55 lbs.
    Not correct based on Mercury's installations of Flo-Torque II Props. It's 100 ft. lbs if prop has a hub bushing but 55 ft. lbs. without a hub bushing. The Tempest Prop kit does not have a hub bushing behind the drive sleeve.

https://www.marine-j.com/pdf/flotorq.pdf
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkammer View Post
    Not correct based on Mercury's installations of Flo-Torque II Props. It's 100 ft. lbs if prop has a hub bushing but 55 ft. lbs. without a hub bushing. The Tempest Prop kit does not have a hub bushing behind the drive sleeve.

https://www.marine-j.com/pdf/flotorq.pdf
    you only get the coned bushing with the kit for surface/ piercing usage. yes 100 lbs. i dont think you need it for under 50 mph rigs. i think there are 3 different kits available all flo-torgue
    Last edited by ARTS SHADOW; 08-09-2019 at 08:39 PM.

11. Member
    The hub kit #835257Q6 or K6 for the tempest, fury, trophy, and bravo props on a Mercury motor with a 1" shaft comes with a coned bushing and is torqed to 100lbs and speed makes no difference. Rkammer look at the Mercury instructions in the PDF you posted and in the flo torq II instructions it says without bushing 55Lbs and with the coned bushing 100lbs. The coned bushing is used to stabilize the heavier props on the shaft.

The hub kit #835257Q6 or K6 for the tempest, fury, trophy, and bravo props on a Mercury motor with a 1" shaft comes with a coned bushing and is torqed to 100lbs and speed makes no difference. Rkammer look at the Mercury instructions in the PDF you posted and in the flo torq II instructions it says without bushing 55Lbs and with the coned bushing 100lbs. The coned bushing is used to stabilize the heavier props on the shaft.
    Take another look at the installation instructions. The illustration refers to a "hub bushing" when torquing to 100 ft lbs. Not a "coned bushing". My installation kit for the tempest pro prop did not come with the hub bushing nor was there a hub bushing behind the "Drive Sleeve" on the prop that came off, therefore 55 ft lbs is correct. My Mercury dealer and the factory says 55 ft. lbs. is correct for my prop.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

13. Member
    I've got 4 of them and they all have the coned bushings in them. The instruction you posted says to use it with a hub kit with a forward bushing which torques to 100lbs and that the hub kit (835257 K6) Mercury says to use for tempest props on Mercury motors with 1 inch shafts. Hub kit 835257 K1 will fit any flo torq hub but does not come with a forward bushing and torques to 55 lbs.
    856163Q1 Flo-Torq II Forward Bushing Drive Sleeve with Surface Piercing Application 856163Q1
    Forward Bushing uses for Flo-Torq II Hub Kits
    Converts Mercury Hub Kit 835257K1 to an 835257K6 hub kit

Typically used for Tempest Plus, Trophy Plus, REV 4 & Bravo 1 in a surface piercing application with Flo-Torq II.

Bushing is included in Flo-Torq hub kit 835257K6

I've got 4 of them and they all have the coned bushings in them. The instruction you posted says to use it with a hub kit with a forward bushing which torques to 100lbs and that the hub kit (835257 K6) Mercury says to use for tempest props on Mercury motors with 1 inch shafts. Hub kit 835257 K1 will fit any flo torq hub but does not come with a forward bushing and torques to 55 lbs.
    856163Q1 Flo-Torq II Forward Bushing Drive Sleeve with Surface Piercing Application 856163Q1
    Forward Bushing uses for Flo-Torq II Hub Kits
    Converts Mercury Hub Kit 835257K1 to an 835257K6 hub kit

Typically used for Tempest Plus, Trophy Plus, REV 4 & Bravo 1 in a surface piercing application with Flo-Torq II.

Bushing is included in Flo-Torq hub kit 835257K6
    I finally understand! What confused me is that I have the K6 hub kit but it didn't come with a separate hub bushing. That's because when I look at the sleeve a little closer, the hub bushing already comes pressed into the sleeve. So, I have gone out and re-torqued the bolt to 100 ft. lbs. Good thing too as after my last trip on the water, the torque on the nut (even though the nut had not turned) was down to 40 ft. lbs. Thanks for taking the time to clear things up for me.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

15. Member
    I guess it slips on the thrust washer or wobbles on the shaft that's why they made it but they don't have them in the hub kits for other makes of motors so you have to buy them. It takes 100lbs to seat it in the hub.