View Poll Results: Which would you choose.

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave the 101lb Maxxum, Sell 55lb terrova

5 33.33%
  • Install 55lb terrova

3 20.00%
  • Buy 80lb terrova, sell Maxxum and 55lb terrova

7 46.67%
  • Mount the 55lb terrova until I find a buyer then buy the 80lb terrova

0 0%

Tough decision. Use what I have or upgrade..

Alright, so here is my problem. I had an old westcoaster 15' boat (very lightweight) so when I bought a trolling motor for it a few months ago I went with a 55lb 12v terrova. Very nice trolling motor, great features for fishing with my two young boys. Anyway I found a boat I wanted more and sold the westcoaster without the terrova. New boat is a 17ft g3 pro 175 so it weighs more. It came with an old model maxxum 101 36v setup.

So here is the question Is like opinions on.

Should I:

A) Leave the old maxxum and run it til it dies and sell the 55lb terrova

B) Install the 55lb 12v terrova with 2 12v batteries for longer run time and get rid of the maxxum

C) Buy a 80lb 24v terrova and sell the maxxum and 55lb terrova

My main concerns with the 55lb terrova are battery life and having enough power to troll and use spot lock. Mostly smaller lakes, almost never on rivers or big water. Some days can get fairly windy but usually nothing too crazy. Issues with selling it are obviously that I'll lose money and most people are looking to upgrade to larger motors so it may take a while to sell.

Issues with the maxxum are that there is no remote to control the motor while helping the boys. I have to be in the front of the boat.

Also looking for advice on which quick detach mount to go with between the mka-21 and mka-32 (I think) or other mount as I think I need to remove the terrova to fit in my garage (if I go that route). I like the price of the mka-21 but wonder about durability vs the metal bracket.

Thanks for looking.

2. Banned
    All depends on your financial situation, if you have the money, then get the 24v. But for now, why don’t you try the 12v Terrova and see how it performs in the mean time.

3. Member
    Install two batteries in parallel to give more run time with your current Terrova.
    Please release me,let me go.

4. Member
    Install another battery in parallel to give you more run time with your current terrova
    Please release me,let me go.

No way I would keep the 55.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Sell it all and buy a Ultrex 80# 24 volt
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Sell it all and buy a Ultrex 80# 24 volt
    I wish. That would have to be one heck of a deal on the ultrex.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    No way I would keep the 55.
    That bad?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    All depends on your financial situation, if you have the money, then get the 24v. But for now, why don’t you try the 12v Terrova and see how it performs in the mean time.
    I can spend the money but I really shouldnt since I spent $1000 on the one I already have. I think I'm going to mount the 55lb and try it but I was kind of hoping someone might have a similar boat with that motor that could save me the trouble if it wasn't going to work well lol. Oh well. I ended up buying a qd mount so at least I can just mount a new motor to the plate instead of the boat if I upgrade in the near future

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Install another battery in parallel to give you more run time with your current terrova
    That's how I ran it before and battery life was good. So I have two new batteries from the old boat.

11. Member
    It's all tied up with 3 voted for each choice. Guess it is a tough choice.

12. Banned
    Try what you got first, guys used to use smaller motors and they fished just fine, they haven’t always made 80lb thrust motors.

There will be quite a few used ultrex’s on the market in the next few months, you can always buy one later, especially if they are discounted.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Try what you got first, guys used to use smaller motors and they fished just fine, they haven’t always made 80lb thrust motors.

There will be quite a few used ultrex’s on the market in the next few months, you can always buy one later, especially if they are discounted.
    Yeah my brother has an old 55lb edge and my uncle has a 40 something lb on his tracker but it haven't been in either of those boats in a long time.

I'm going to try the 55lb but if I could find a 80 for under $1500 I'd just go that route (obviously the terrova not ultrex and I've only found the 60" under $1500).

Why is the ultrex showing up more in the for sale section? New model come out?

14. Banned
    Couple new brands of TM’s coming out in the next few months and some speculation that MK might do some re-designing on their current motor.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg_sdcf View Post
    That bad?
    It really depends on how much the boat weighs .
    You already have 55. Mount it on a universal mount.
    If it doesn't work good enough sell it and put a new one on.
    Anthrax

Yeah my brother has an old 55lb edge and my uncle has a 40 something lb on his tracker but it haven't been in either of those boats in a long time.

I'm going to try the 55lb but if I could find a 80 for under $1500 I'd just go that route (obviously the terrova not ultrex and I've only found the 60" under $1500).

Why is the ultrex showing up more in the for sale section? New model come out?

The sponsors here will give you better prices.
    Sent you a pm.
    Anthrax

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    It really depends on how much the boat weighs .
    You already have 55. Mount it on a universal mount.
    If it doesn't work good enough sell it and put a new one on.
    According to nada it weighs about 900lbs but my brothers lowe is only 750 so I'm not sure why mine weighs so much more. It has a 21 gallon gas tank vs his 13 or 15 and wood decks compared to his aluminum.

According to nada it weighs about 900lbs but my brothers lowe is only 750 so I'm not sure why mine weighs so much more. It has a 21 gallon gas tank vs his 13 or 15 and wood decks compared to his aluminum.

900 pounds isn't that much. I'd try the 55 since you already have it. If you Google trolling motor thrust guide, they say 2 pounds thrust for every 100 pounds of boat.
    I think that's a little light but makes the 55 look alot better.
    Anthrax

19. Member
    Yeah that might be with a smaller motor and no people as well. It says 920lbs. Usually have about 500lbs of passengers and a little gear.

I'll try the 55.

20. Member
    Finally got the boat rewired (4ga tinned) new plug up front that can handle the amps of the 55lb trolling motor, new batteries and battery trays, and installed the terrova on a quick detach mount. I'm not really sure about the qd mount. Seemed like the wasn't much thread on the bolts to attach the motor to the top plate, also not a whole lot of room to torque them down but it worked great today.

I was finally able to hit the lake today with my dad and kids and I was happy with the trolling motor. There was wind, sometimes it really picked up but I never had to increase the speed above 4. I was on the water 2-2.5 hours and spent most of the time on setting 1-2.5. I cranked it up to 10 2 different times to see how fast it would go. The remote said it was going 2.5 mph (would fluctuate from 2.3-2.5, I'll most likely never need to go to setting 10). After 2-2.5 hours the battery meter hadn't dropped at all on the terrova (not sure how accurate it is) but I'm using 2 everstart Maxx 29dc batteries.

Anyway I just wanted to let you all know how it worked out. I'd say if I didn't have a trolling motor and was buying new that I'd go 80lb 24v because obviously it's nice to have more lower even if you don't need it often (especially if you fished fast moving rivers). However since I already had the new 55lb terrova I'd say that I'm pleased with his it moved my boat around with 2 adults and 2 kids and it's going to be just fine for my setup and how I fish (big motor to the spots I want to fish and then troll the shore).