Thinking about purchasing Power Poles for my Z7

I’ve got a 2015 Nitro Z7 with a 175 Pro XS and since I’ve had it, ive been wanting to eventually get power poles. I was looking at the pro2 because they’re lighter and just think they would work best for my set up. I found two pro 2 poles 8ft from a guy on Facebook. For the poles, pumps, brackets, and remotes, he’s asking 2500. My question is, are power poles something that is necessary? I know it’s personal preference, but I have an ultrex and I do fish shallow a lot but I don’t fishi tournaments. I just want peoples opinions on it.

It is personal choice. Power poles are exactly what they call them, Shallow Water Anchors. If you fish shallow, bedding fish, etc they're excellent. I use mine at times also when I have to do something away from the TM & to keep from being blown all over the area. The Ultrex is great for deep water, not so much for shallow. You can use it there sure but that's not what it was designed for IMHO. As far as necessary? No, I fished for years without them as have others.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    pm sent

4. Member
    I picked up a boat a few years ago with a single PP Pro and was hooked. I don't fish tournaments. But I do fish shallows a fair bit. Once I was routinely using one, I wanted a 2nd, so I sold the single and installed a pair of PP Blades. Been one of the best additions I've made. It's great to have a pair to prevent weathervaning.

Another use I found for my dual power poles is for launching my boat when I'm alone. I have to drive my boat off the trailer by myself and park it next to the dock, get back into my vehicle and drive about 1/8 mile to the parking lot of my home lake. So, instead of going through the effort of having to tie the boat up to the dock, I just drop the power poles with the boat a foot of two from the dock and go park my vehicle. When I get back, just hop into the boat, raise the poles, crank the motor and off we go. Easy Peezy.

Also works the same for stopping at an eating spot while out fishing. I haven't used my boat bumpers in a long time.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkammer View Post
    Another use I found for my dual power poles is for launching my boat when I'm alone. I have to drive my boat off the trailer by myself and park it next to the dock, get back into my vehicle and drive about 1/8 mile to the parking lot of my home lake. So, instead of going through the effort of having to tie the boat up to the dock, I just drop the power poles with the boat a foot of two from the dock and go park my vehicle. When I get back, just hop into the boat, raise the poles, crank the motor and off we go. Easy Peezy.

Also works the same for stopping at an eating spot while out fishing. I haven't used my boat bumpers in a long time.
    excellent points use mine that way all the time as well

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    excellent points use mine that way all the time as well
    I’ve got an ultrex and just get my remote and use it to get me to the dock and then just take it away from the dock a bit and spot lock it until I’m ready to take off. Sure if I had them I could just lower the poles and that would be nice. But besides that, they’d really only benefit me in very shallow water which I don’t fish a lot of.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P_Frost7 View Post
    I’ve got an ultrex and just get my remote and use it to get me to the dock and then just take it away from the dock a bit and spot lock it until I’m ready to take off. Sure if I had them I could just lower the poles and that would be nice. But besides that, they’d really only benefit me in very shallow water which I don’t fish a lot of.
    everyone fishes differently , and has to choose whats right for them , I have both and can assure you one is not a substitute for the other and will never replace the other. both have there good and bad and specific uses in different fishing situations.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    everyone fishes differently , and has to choose whats right for them , I have both and can assure you one is not a substitute for the other and will never replace the other. both have there good and bad and specific uses in different fishing situations.
    You’re right. That really helps a lot when you said neither one substitutes for the other

10. Member
    I have had an ultrex for about a year and love it, but used dual poles for the first time this week and will not own another boat without them. Lots more uses for poles than just shallow water fishing. They work great for family days where you are all swimming. It keeps the boat in place and solid rather than floating around. Also as mentioned above about the unloading. Back the boat down down as close to dock as you can, unhook bow when boat is by the waters edge and you don't have to get your feet wet, lower poles as soon as the boat comes off the bunks and go park. You can also use a th marine launch rope and with a keel guard on your boat, just pull it up on the ramp, lower poles, unhook the rope and go park. If you fish a lot of docks, you can lower them down partially and they will act as bumpers and keep the rear of your boat from getting all beat up. Fishing a windy bank and need to retie, lower them down and they won't let the boat swing around and get your motor in the rocks/brush like spotlock will. Just a few things that go way beyond fishing for bedding fish that I experienced with mine the first time out.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JHall View Post
    I have had an ultrex for about a year and love it, but used dual poles for the first time this week and will not own another boat without them. Lots more uses for poles than just shallow water fishing. They work great for family days where you are all swimming. It keeps the boat in place and solid rather than floating around. Also as mentioned above about the unloading. Back the boat down down as close to dock as you can, unhook bow when boat is by the waters edge and you don't have to get your feet wet, lower poles as soon as the boat comes off the bunks and go park. You can also use a th marine launch rope and with a keel guard on your boat, just pull it up on the ramp, lower poles, unhook the rope and go park. If you fish a lot of docks, you can lower them down partially and they will act as bumpers and keep the rear of your boat from getting all beat up. Fishing a windy bank and need to retie, lower them down and they won't let the boat swing around and get your motor in the rocks/brush like spotlock will. Just a few things that go way beyond fishing for bedding fish that I experienced with mine the first time out.
    So very true.. i wish more people would realize and experience how useful they are and are not just for spring bed fishing, and that a spotlock trolling matter no matter what brand is no replacement for a set of shallow water anchors.