Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2019 Ranger Rt198P. 2 Foot long cracked weld.

Starting out, I purchased my boat from Dixie Marine in Fairfield, Ohio. I live in upstate New York and drove over 13 hours to go get the boat. Beyond excited to get it, They made one hell of a deal so it was totally worth the drive. Upon arrival, The windshield had a small crack in it, they have ordered a replacement but I still haven't received it. I then take it out on my first voyage and my transducer rips out of the transom saver and the metal bracket chips the hell out of my transom as it whipped around until i could slow down enough. I then have been having issues with my Mercury 150 Pro XS 4S with getting the boat above 44 on a glass day. It is sucking air and throws a wicked rooster tail and my RPMs are way too high. Well about two weeks ago I noticed my bilge runs every 25 minutes, I attributed it to keeping it on a lift on the lake and not pulling my drain plug while it rains. However it has gotten worse every time i take it out so friday I noticed the crack in the weld when I put it up on the lift. I then contact my sales person from dixie marine and he tells me to bring it to my local tracker dealer because the closest ranger dealer is over 4 hours away. I explain the crack is roughly 2 feet long and 1/4 inch at the widest point. As i take it out of the lake yesterday I get roughly 2000ft off shore and my motor completely dies. No power to my console but thankfully my bilge still works because I was taking on water since the bilge was running almost steady. I just heard back from dixie marine and Ranger has already put out a pickup notice to get the boat to return it to the factory and today is Tuesday. Im not entirely confident in their aluminum series of products and want to spend the extra bit to go glass after this. Curious to see how Ranger deals with this situation in its entirety. I will keep posting updates.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    That’s why they have warranty’s. I wouldn’t wish that crack on my best friend, but boats have issues. I’ve seen every brand out there have them at one time or another. I had a 90’s Ranger spend more time in the shop (hull related, not motor) than in my garage. That one must have been built after one hell of a party. It was a glass boat.

Hope they find a resolution to your satisfaction!

3. Member
    At 58-60 that hull could've ripped open like a tin can. Dangerous. I know there's a chance for anything to happen with both glass and tin, but their fiberglass line has a reputation and I don't think this aluminum boat has held up to that standard in my opinion.

4. Member
    They fixed my Triton when I had cracks in the transom, dropped it off at a dealer, they picked it up the next time they delivered new boats to the dealer, took it in re-welded it and touched up the paint, certificated the hull and sent it back. and being they build the triton's and Ranger's at the same place I'm sure they will take care of you, and going to Glass is no safe bet, was reading on another forum about a guy that had a new Glass with stress cracks in the Gel coat and was having hell getting anything done. and I think the ranger and triton has both suffered with Bass Pro buying them out.
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

5. Member
    Wow! That looks like the sheets of Aluminum didn't even come close to meeting up and they just welded it together over the gap, wtf. Where at on the hull is the split? I couldn't really tell for sure from the photos. I really hope they take care of this for you!!
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

6. Member
    You didn't mention the conditions when you ran it. Engine height? Prop? Break-in?
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Bum deal, sorry to hear about your troubles. I would feel the same way as you if this happened to my new boat. However, regardless of brand issues like this will happen. Historically, I would say Ranger will undoubtedly take care of you and make it right. The used to have stellar customer service(maybe still do). However, I haven't dealt with them for 2 or so years now but when I did, it was not positive just before selling. Ranger makes solid boat IMO, you are having major issues with yours but I don't think it represents the majority.

The reality is this is why every boat manufacture has a warranty department and the reason many of us choose to buy new, for the reassurance. Or, maybe there was an underlying reason the dealer was so eager to give you a smoking deal on the boat..........

Did you hit something to rip off the transducer? Maybe a log just under the surface that you couldn't see. Just can't imagine water and speed ripped the transducer off.

"I then have been having issues with my Mercury 150 Pro XS 4S with getting the boat above 44 on a glass day. It is sucking air and throws a wicked rooster tail and my RPMs are way too high."

There is a lot of discussion regarding the issue above, mostly around transom issues. I know that several owners needed to add wedges on the transom or grind off welds. I am confident some of the folks running Rangers can better provide some feedback on this. I would think they addressed the issue on the 2020 boats but definitely some legacy issues left in the field........

2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    That looks AWFUL! Sharp boat otherwise...

Good luck Sir, I believe Ranger will stand behind the product.

Keep us posted.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

9. Member
    I think you can expect them to replace the hull. And I bet they will. It's a bum deal but sometimes things happen that aren't fair but just the way things go sometimes. The only problem you are going to have is the wait period while they make you another boat. From what I have heard, your delivery date will go in line right behind the ones that ordered the day before you. So even though it is warranty, you will have to wait your turn just like you bought the boat today. That means maybe an eight week or so wait.

A lot of manufacturers weld the hulls and patch them. Go read a thread on the Vexus site here and you will see. It was patched and sent back to him. He had to fight for a fair resolution. One reason I bought Ranger is their excellent customer service reputation and the stories about them replacing a problem hull with a new hull instead of patching the old cracked one. Sorry to hear it happened, but I bet you like the new hull.

Also, I have a question.... My RT188 has an extruded piece of heavy duty V shaped aluminum down the middle length of the hull. Does this boat not come made like that?
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 07-31-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

10. Banned
    Man that sucks. Hate seeing stories like this...

11. Member
    Rudy will take care of you if you bought it from him. I also hotice the hull is not the same as the 178 and 188 I think the only bottom welds they have is on the keel guard.

12. Member
    Damn, two straight welds breaking on the hull of two different brand boats, been a bad week for tin boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    Damn, two straight welds breaking on the hull of two different brand boats, been a bad week for tin boats.
    I agree with ya on that, unfortunate deal for both owners. What is crazy, the issue with the other brand generated 7+ pages of posts. Ya think a lot of eyes are on Vexus(?), created quite the following for a ~1 year old brand. The fact is a cracked weld is a big deal, however it is not super uncommon.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Rudy will take care of you if you bought it from him. I also hotice the hull is not the same as the 178 and 188 I think the only bottom welds they have is on the keel guard.
    some boats have a one piece aluminum hull (I had an Xpress H51 that did) My Polar kraft 195 has a one piece hull. It is then held together with six aluminum I-beams running along the boat's length, combined with transverse bukheads to produce torque boxes throughout whole bottom.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 08-01-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I think you can expect them to replace the hull. And I bet they will. It's a bum deal but sometimes things happen that aren't fair but just the way things go sometimes. The only problem you are going to have is the wait period while they make you another boat. From what I have heard, your delivery date will go in line right behind the ones that ordered the day before you. So even though it is warranty, you will have to wait your turn just like you bought the boat today. That means maybe an eight week or so wait.

A lot of manufacturers weld the hulls and patch them. Go read a thread on the Vexus site here and you will see. It was patched and sent back to him. He had to fight for a fair resolution. One reason I bought Ranger is their excellent customer service reputation and the stories about them replacing a problem hull with a new hull instead of patching the old cracked one. Sorry to hear it happened, but I bet you like the new hull.

Also, I have a question.... My RT188 has an extruded piece of heavy duty V shaped aluminum down the middle length of the hull. Does this boat not come made like that?

That is great to hear that Ranger has a proven history and solid reputation with replacing problematic hulls with new ones. Not so sure that is something I would use to market the brand but good to hear they have not regressed. Obviously, the warranty department continues to put up strong numbers, which apparently fuels the top line sales...
    Last edited by Jonesslk; 08-01-2019 at 09:49 AM.

16. Member
    I'll give odds that they re-weld it and send it back.

17. Member
    It sounds you got a lemon unfortunately! The crack is tough to deal with but you also have motor issues on top of that.

Have patience and you should get your issues fixed. Dixie Marine is a reputable dealer!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    That is great to hear that Ranger has a proven history and solid reputation with replacing problematic hulls with new ones. Not so sure that is something I would use to market the brand but good to hear they have not regressed. Obviously, the warranty department continues to put up strong numbers, which apparently fuels the top line sales...
    It's gonna happen. A human welds it. It's man made. Some will be welded too hot or cold or not enough correct penetration. I have not been around boat welding, but at work I have been around a lot of chemical plant construction welding. Welders dont weld everything perfectly every time.

My dealer sells a LOT of Ranger aluminum boats -- hundreds I am sure. They are huge. They hardly ever have an aluminum Ranger RT188 boat on the floor. In six years, he has had TWO Ranger aluminum hulls that had a problem. TWO. They replaced both of them with new hulls, no questions asked. It's not IF you will have a problem, it's how the problem and the customer are treated that makes a difference. So far, Ranger has done an excellent job of dealing with a problem hull and you can't say the same thing for some other manufacturers.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    It's gonna happen. A human welds it. It's man made. Some will be welded too hot or cold or not enough correct penetration. I have not been around boat welding, but at work I have been around a lot of chemical plant construction welding. Welders dont weld everything perfectly every time.

My dealer sells a LOT of Ranger aluminum boats -- hundreds I am sure. They are huge. They hardly ever have an aluminum Ranger RT188 boat on the floor. In six years, he has had TWO Ranger aluminum hulls that had a problem. TWO. They replaced both of them with new hulls, no questions asked. It's not IF you will have a problem, it's how the problem and the customer are treated that makes a difference. So far, Ranger has done an excellent job of dealing with a problem hull and you can't say the same thing for some other manufacturers.
    Because of one post?? Keep in mind, no one can speak to the "other" side as to why it was denied as a warranty issue. There is only one side. Also, keep in mind the excellent Ranger customer service you speak of was established over the years on the shoulders of MANY of the now Vexus guys / gals. The same ones who helped build a very strong brand loyalty.
    I, along with many other owners have experienced top notch customer service thus far. It was unfortunate what happened to the owners boat, however unless you can show the findings and investigation details from the brand, kind of hard to say the customer service is truly suspect after only hearing one side. You seem to follow Vexus closely, you know that there are very few complaints on the customer service. I think the bigger issue is that some people assumed Vexus would be perfect, then there was shock and awe when something happened. I think it is a delusional thought process to remotely think there will be no issues.
    I was 1st year owner of a tin Ranger and now a 1st year owner of a Vexus. With many of the same people people designing and building both boats. No regrets. Undoubtedly Vexus is positioning itself to be at the top. I believe it will come, the Vexus team knows how to do just that.

I know of 4 RT188’s with hull cracks that Ranger replaced the hull and none of the failures were as severe as yours. In each case, they made a new hull at the aluminum plant and transported it to the repair shop at the glass plant where it was finished with components from your existing hull. The repair shop will reuse your compartment lids, console, TM pan and everything in your bilge including gas tank, pumps and hoses. They will use the same hull number so your registration and license will not be affected.
    Be prepared for a long wait. My dealer coordinated with the Warranty dept and had me keep the boat until they were ready to start the new hull in production and it still took 8 weeks. This does not include any shipping time as I dropped it off and picked up the new one.
    I Hate this happened and I know they will try to make it right but the timing and inconvenience is unavoidable.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast