Replacing dash shroud

So I’m replacing my shroud on my 921phx and am having a hard time figuring how to drill the new holes in the new shroud to make them line up with the original holes in the fiberglass console. I’m wondering if abandoning those old holes and just drilling new ones is the way to go. Anyone else replaced a shroud and can give me some insight? My thought was to put masking tape on the console and mark 1” out from the holes so when the new shroud goes on and covers the holes I can measure up 1” and run the screw in. I’m worried this may not get me close enough and I’ll end up enlarging the holes in the glass.

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTMBass View Post
    So I’m replacing my shroud on my 921phx and am having a hard time figuring how to drill the new holes in the new shroud to make them line up with the original holes in the fiberglass console. I’m wondering if abandoning those old holes and just drilling new ones is the way to go. Anyone else replaced a shroud and can give me some insight? My thought was to put masking tape on the console and mark 1” out from the holes so when the new shroud goes on and covers the holes I can measure up 1” and run the screw in. I’m worried this may not get me close enough and I’ll end up enlarging the holes in the glass.
    if you want to hit those you will need to put the tape on as planed and measure each screw to your mark, they are not all the same distance from the edge
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I also recommend adding support 2017-04-06 15.12.00.jpg
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    You can do it that way IF you measure 1" from the CENTER of EACH HOLE, and NOT from the edge of the console that will be under the new shroud.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    You can do it that way IF you measure 1" from the CENTER of EACH HOLE, and NOT from the edge of the console that will be under the new shroud.
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies.
    Drew - I’ve been wanting to add support like that in. Is that basically 1/2” starboard material epoxied on there? Does the 1/2” have enough flex in it to take on the shape of the console?
    I’ve thought about adding starboard like that and putting some type of threaded insert in there so I can use machine screws with some loc-tite to hold down the shroud and put an end to loose hardware in that area.

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies.
    Drew - I’ve been wanting to add support like that in. Is that basically 1/2” starboard material epoxied on there? Does the 1/2” have enough flex in it to take on the shape of the console?
    I’ve thought about adding starboard like that and putting some type of threaded insert in there so I can use machine screws with some loc-tite to hold down the shroud and put an end to loose hardware in that area.
    I used 1/4", I dont think the 1/2" will flex enough unless you heat it or turn in opposite direction, I have my dash off now for about the 25th time working on a new project, I thought about adding threaded rivit nuts or like you mentions just epoxy in some threaded inserts , was a little concerned about the rivit style cracking the glass when compressed
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I used 1/4", I dont think the 1/2" will flex enough unless you heat it or turn in opposite direction, I have my dash off now for about the 25th time working on a new project, I thought about adding threaded rivit nuts or like you mentions just epoxy in some threaded inserts , was a little concerned about the rivit style cracking the glass when compressed
    Dang now you guys got me to thinking about going with threaded inserts! Good idea.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

Quote Originally Posted by Phnx Ed View Post
    Dang now you guys got me to thinking about going with threaded inserts! Good idea.
    Threaded inserts would be solid. Especially with some non permanent loctite.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

10. Member
    I screwed the screws in the old holes from the inside out so that a little of the screw was sticking out, put the new shroud on where you want it and push on the screws and the point of the screw will mark where you need to drill the hole in the new shroud. Worked perfect for me. Also 100% recommend adding reinforcements.
    TACKLE WHORE!