Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Speed on 2011 Skeeter FX21 Yamaha 250SHO

I have a 2011 Skeeter FX21 with a Yamaha 250SHO on the back of it. I’m running two gen1 8’ talons as well on the boat, 3/4 tanks fuel, 1 passenger, and with what I would consider normal amount of tackle (couple boxes of soft plastics and 7 or so Plano boxes and 12 rods). I’ve got two props that came with the boat a 23 Ti and a 25 Ti from Yamaha. Prop to pad height is 3”. RPM’s with the 23 is 6000 at 68.2 mph and with the 25 is 5800 also at 68mph. Wondering what I could do to get some more top speed out of the boat. I really figured this was a 71-74mph boat even with the talons. Is the weight of the talons holding it back that much or is it something else I’m missing.
    Thanks ahead

2. Member
    If you got the bracket to fold down the talons it would help. The weight isn’t as big of a deal as the wind resistance

In my experiences in most cases I can’t tell much about wind issues unless you’re well into the 80s and low 90s....I would take the Talons off and run it. Of course fold them down and run it too. Weight kills speed. 2”s below should be better ...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    I have same setup but a 20'. Flash ECU run a 25P prop mid to upper 70's all day. Saw 79 once with 30 gallons of fuel and two on board. Haven't really run it light and in cooler weather yet

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    In my experiences in most cases I can’t tell much about wind issues unless you’re well into the 80s and low 90s....I would take the Talons off and run it. Of course fold them down and run it too. Weight kills speed. 2”s below should be better ...
    Crank, not sure you can run them at 2" below. Seems like 3-1/2 is pretty common, with some at 3. Does seem strange the top speed is the same with a 23 and a 25?
    Last edited by NHRG; 07-31-2019 at 10:02 AM.

6. Member
    That’s what I thought when I first put the 23 back on. I gained 200 rpms from the 25 with no speed increase?

7. Member
    what your running is about what most folks are running with your set up in the winter you will pick up a couple mph because of cooler weather an not having to run crappy summer blend gas always keep in mind most the other boats run faster on the net.

8. Member
    Just for comparison, I've got a 2013 FX20 with 10' Power Poles. Ran mine up to 68 mph with a 25T1 on a small lake. Ran out of room and failed to look at the RPMs before I stepped out of it. I do not think I actually ever got fully up on plane.
    One more question, how is the hole shot and the mid with the 25? Could be the prop needs a little work?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHRG View Post
    Just for comparison, I've got a 2013 FX20 with 10' Power Poles. Ran mine up to 68 mph with a 25T1 on a small lake. Ran out of room and failed to look at the RPMs before I stepped out of it. I do not think I actually ever got fully up on plane.
    One more question, how is the hole shot and the mid with the 25? Could be the prop needs a little work?
    Holeshots been great on both props. Have to keep the motor trimmed down longer than other boats i've ran through planing but id say it gets up on plane in less than 4-5 seconds. Mid range speed has been fine. Climbs speed and RPM's quick. The 23 seems a little small to me for this motor or am I thinking wrong on it. Considering putting the 25 back on permanently to not risk running too high of rpms.

10. Member
    I am currently at 3.25 below with a 25T1 non-vented on a 2016 FX21 with twin power poles. My prop is blue printed and balanced by Lanier Propeller and my RPM's are 5700 (not sure why so low, but I can't get much higher with out loosing speed). Summer time with 'normal' load and two people is right at 70 all the time. Outside of summer when temps are less, by myself, lighter load I am right around 74mph, with really no increase in rpm's. So I would say you are close, the FX21 is no top end speed demon, unless you flash. Holeshot is really good and mid-range is good.

One thing to note is that Skeeter hulls (I've owned 4 hulls, ZX185, ZX225, FX20 & FX21) have never liked weight in the front of the boat, so if you have a lot of weight in the front compartments you will lose speed.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    I am currently at 3.25 below with a 25T1 non-vented on a 2016 FX21 with twin power poles. My prop is blue printed and balanced by Lanier Propeller and my RPM's are 5700 (not sure why so low, but I can't get much higher with out loosing speed). Summer time with 'normal' load and two people is right at 70 all the time. Outside of summer when temps are less, by myself, lighter load I am right around 74mph, with really no increase in rpm's. So I would say you are close, the FX21 is no top end speed demon, unless you flash. Holeshot is really good and mid-range is good.

One thing to note is that Skeeter hulls (I've owned 4 hulls, ZX185, ZX225, FX20 & FX21) have never liked weight in the front of the boat, so if you have a lot of weight in the front compartments you will lose speed.
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking into maybe getting a 25fxp balanced and blueprinted. How bad did that run you when you had it done?

12. Member
    Do you mean cost? If so it was roughly $250, if I remember correctly.

13. Member
    Do you mean cost? If so it was roughly $250, if I remember correctly.
    Yah sorry. That's not near as bad as I thought. Figured it'd run upwards of $500. Did you get a lot of increase out if it (would you do it again on another boat?).

14. Member
    Hard to say, I did not run this boat enough before the blue print and balance to know if there was significant gain. I would guess a mph or two. I have done this to my other boats and I saw about a 2mph gain top end.

15. Member
    ok what all of you have said is sound and all the speeds and rpms are close except the 79 mph that would mean he was turning 6578 rpms to get to the 79 mph area. all boats have a slip ratio I tend to be light on mine and give them a 8% most other propeller shops and people like me tend to go to 12%. Pitch is one rotation goes its number in inches minus the slip percentage. when you go up in pitch you will loose rpm at @ 100 per pitch. Things to look at as much as static weight is drag, meaning does your jack plate have a bottom cover to keep water out of it at speeds. also there is water tension is the bottom of your boat smooth that water sticks to it and slows you down or is it rougher and allows air to be trapped between the bottom of the hull and the water making it faster. Also for you shiny prop guys they are not faster except in the parking lot. look at any racing boat of any kind their props are not polished!!! WE spend thousands on racing motors and hulls and the lightest strongest money could buy if a polished prop gave us a couple tenths or a mile per hour more don't you think we would do it. to lab and blue print a propeller is only good if you are going to make that same prop over again. so before that money is spent to do that make sure that prop does all you want it to and a little more otherwise save your money.
    DCR Propeller
    Sacramento CA

16. Member
    they don't like weight in the back either. I lost 4mph added 2 8' power poles on a ZX200 with a 200 hpdi.

If speed is something you really want a skeeter is not gonna satisfy you unless you get work done or flash ecu. And just cause bob down the street got the same boat and same setup doesn't mean yours will. Just how it goes.

17. Member
    another thing to keep in mind they all run faster on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    another thing to keep in mind they all run faster on the net.

Yep. There is not a Skeeter FX20 or FX21 running 79mph with a stock 250.

Agreed. Skeeters won’t run upper 70’s without the flash IMO. I flashed mine and it was the best 650$ I ever spent. Totally different boat now. Midrange and holeshot are ridiculously good now and best speed I’ve seen to date is 77.5 with just me. I can get to 74 all day loaded up.
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatesville Junkie View Post
    Agreed. Skeeters won’t run upper 70’s without the flash IMO. I flashed mine and it was the best 650$ I ever spent. Totally different boat now. Midrange and holeshot are ridiculously good now and best speed I’ve seen to date is 77.5 with just me. I can get to 74 all day loaded up.
    You must keep it pretty lightly loaded. I have same boat but best I have seen is 75 mph at 6200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast