Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Love/Hate about Stratos Boats

What do you love and hate about your Stratos bass boat?

I don't have a Stratos but I used to and I have owned it's brother for many years. Whats not to love other than no longer made?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I owned 3 since 93 and would like to have seen a more upscaled model. Better grade vinyl seating, gages, carpet, etc...
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Hate that they don't make them now!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

5. Member
    Love my old Stratos Pro Elite XL 285. I beat the shit out of it, and it just keeps going and going and going. I learned a lot about fiberglass repair simce I've knocked the trolling motor and about 8 inches of the bow off, and 3 feet of the Starboard upper aft side down and including the rub rail when I hit a post with a bolt through it.

6. Member
    The only thing I hate about my 295 PE is the rod locker. Too short to house my muskie rods.

7. Member
    Hate that they’re no longer made !

Love most everything about my 200, except for the fact you can't get parts anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Love my old Stratos Pro Elite XL 285. I beat the shit out of it, and it just keeps going and going and going. I learned a lot about fiberglass repair simce I've knocked the trolling motor and about 8 inches of the bow off, and 3 feet of the Starboard upper aft side down and including the rub rail when I hit a post with a bolt through it.
    Did the post look at you funny? Why or how did you hit it this hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin389 View Post
    Love most everything about my 200, except for the fact you can't get parts anymore.
    I guess its all aftermarket parts now...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafaar View Post
    I guess its all aftermarket parts now...
    Panels and shrouds are the biggest concerns. My shrouds are still in good shape. Panels, well, some have seen better days. AMP does have some good panel replacements for a few models, but the curved ones at the console would have to be custom fabricated.

12. Member
    Originally Posted by billnorman1

Did the post look at you funny? Why or how did you hit it this hard?

I was in a small quarry when the tide went out. There was some water in the wood reinforced entryway. The sides are lined with wood, and the posts are on the outside, they are bolted together and long bolts about an inch in diameter stick out. Anyhow I figured I could get up on plane and get back in the main river. Well, there wasn't as much water as I thought, and the prop dug in and threw the boat sideways into one of the posts. The bolt went into the top cap at the bilge pump out port and continued all the way to the rear of the boat smashing the hull and rubrail in the process. It took me a couple of months in my spare time to repair the rub rail and the hull and top cap. It ain't pretty. My boat's a 40-40 boat. From 40 feet at 40 MPH it looks O.K.

13. Member
    Glad you were ok.

14. Member
    Mine is 08 201 model only thing i dont like is the nose drifts too much when waiting for take off. ive noticed ranger and skeeter does not do this. if its some what wendy i sit on troling motor long as posible to control the front

Love mine except as stated by others, rod locker to short. Considerring it's age boat still looks sharp and turns a lot of heads.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

16. Member
    Too heavy, I think they could have made them lighter, to much weight in rear end. Also, when mine was made they were underpowered. Mine is a 1993 201 pro.
    came with a 200 on it,

17. Member
    Mines an 05 and I just came over from a tin boat so I can’t complain about much. I would like a center rod locker possibly and I wish the front seat post was forward about 6”, it’s hard to lean on it and run the trolling motor in the wind.

I still love my 08 201 that I have had for over 10 years. It is a great boat that I have had in many different bodies of water from Michigan to Oklahoma to Tennessee. I've fished large lakes and rivers to small lakes and rivers. The hull has handled every situation very well, now some of that comes from using common sense in rough waters. I love the layout of the top cap and storage.
    The only thing I changed when it was new was I added weather stripping around the cooler to keep the water from draining off the front deck into the cooler.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

19. Member
    Love the fact that back in 2000, Stratos refunded my money on the 2000 model year 20SS Extreme/225 Ficht because it "leaned" and would never plane out properly. OMC did a lot of folks wrong, but they did right by me.
    BTW... the 201 hull is still one of the best ever.

Had an '89 285 that fished well. Had a desire for a 201 and figured I'd wait 'til retirement. Then my cousin went away from fishing and was moving his '95 201 so we swung a deal, figuring I'd still buy a new one when retiring.... Had no complaints on the 285 but wish the 201 had a wider rod locker like the 285 did. Like the amount of storage space.

Bummed when Stratos got bought into non-existence. Just retired and slowly starting to watch sales on "late-model" Stratos 201s. Not sure what I'm gonna do but the '95 is still plenty functional for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast