Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar

Evinrude Engine Interface Cable Question

I'm installing dual Lowrance Carbon 12s on my dash. It's going to hide all of my upper Actia guages (RPM/Speed/Engine Temp/etc.), so I'll need to have the engine info displayed on one half of the screens. I can still see the lower gauges: water pressure, trim

2009 Evinrude 250 E-TEC HO

Is this what I need?

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...face-cbl---rd/

I already have the complete backbone setup, but all of my connections are black. The above item states red connections.

Sorry if this a double post.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

That is what I used when I installed my I COMMAND smart gauge. If you already have a network then you may have some spare T's so all you really need is the interface cable.

Here is a link for just the cable...https://leadersrpmshop.com/search.ph...h_query=764164

Here is a link with the cable and T thats a few $ less than the one you posted...https://www.amazon.com/s?k=0766026&ref=nb_sb_noss

It's been a few months ago since I done my install and I think I ran into the same thing about red and black connections. My I COMMAND gauge came with a red connector but the interface cable came with a black T. After doing some research I found black and red connections will connect. I had zero issues connecting my red T from my I COMMAND to the black T that came with the interface cable.

3. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Thanks for the input JR19... much appreciated.

I phoned my Lowrance tech and he informed me that red or black is the same. He told me to connect to the motor and drop to the backbone. The Carbon 12 will take over from there at boot up, but he could not tell me what info will be available, or if it will conflict with my Actia gauges. Here's hoping that I get to see what I need to on my Lowrance. I found the manual:

https://ww2.lowrance.com/Global/Lowr...Guide_3401.pdf

I live in Canada, so I ordered from Amabomb Canada for about the same price. I have spare Tees, but the cable alone was not available. With Prime, I should see it Friday.

Now to find the connector on the motor. Google Fu!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

4. Member
    It's near top right side, easily distinguishable
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    It's near top right side, easily distinguishable
    Thanks! I found this:

ETEC_ConnectorLocation653x490.jpg
    E-TEC 3.3-lier V6 NMEA-2000 connector and water pressure sensor connector

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...C_Rigging.html

I've owned the boat since May and haven't taken the cowl off once...

On my particular motor E150HSLAAB the NMEA connector is located on the boat motor computer. I don't see why yours would be any different because that's what your doing...accessing computer information. Looking at the picture posted that is the correct connector. Looking at the arrow it is pointing directly to the cap that you remove and plug the interface cable into. After doing this I routed my wire to follow the other wires that goes from the motor, though my rigging and to my dash panel.

7. Member
    With the cable you will get all the basics, the only one that will be a question is water pressure. The electronic water pressure sensor is an ad on sensor, so if is not there and you want it you could add it.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

8. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    On my particular motor E150HSLAAB the NMEA connector is located on the boat motor computer. I don't see why yours would be any different because that's what your doing...accessing computer information. Looking at the picture posted that is the correct connector. Looking at the arrow it is pointing directly to the cap that you remove and plug the interface cable into. After doing this I routed my wire to follow the other wires that goes from the motor, though my rigging and to my dash panel.
    Perfect! Any tips on how to get the NMEA plug end down through the expandable braided loom?

Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    With the cable you will get all the basics, the only one that will be a question is water pressure. The electronic water pressure sensor is an ad on sensor, so if is not there and you want it you could add it.
    I will be able to clearly view the WP gauge to the bottom left of my helm, but just in case, would you happen to have the P/N for the NMEA/WP sensor interface?

Thanks, guys!

Be aware your only going to be able to display what the computer is reading. Things such as water pressure, fuel level, oil tank level and trim angle can be displayed but you have to add a device to the component that sends a reading to your display. In other words your boats computer has no idea what your water pressure is. It monitors temperature and you can display temperature. Same principle applies to the other things I mentioned. It monitors no oil but not oil level. If the boats computer does not monitor it and you want it displayed digitally you have to add a device to the component.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Perfect! Any tips on how to get the NMEA plug end down through the expandable braided loom?
    It will vary pending on how yours is rigged. Mine was pretty simple. Once plugged in at the boat motor computer I routed the wire to the rigging tube. It was a tight fit that required a little vaseline but I was able to squeeze it through the hole. I also wrapped electrical tape around the end of the black connector and made it pointed on the end. This is what I lubricated. I done this so I was pulling on something pointed instead of something blunt. I also attached a string under the electrical tape. Once the string got though I pulled on the actual cord. I removed my flexible tubing and worked it towards the transom where the opening for my rigging is located. This was another tight fit but I managed. From there I just followed the wire to my dash panel. On my boat when I open my bilge there is a straight shot from the bilge to the console to the right of my fuel cell and back storage compartment. I have an old fishing rod that I removed all the guides from. I tape wire to it and push it through to the gap that comes out in the floor near my hoot foot under the dash.

10. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Thanks! ... and I found the part number for the pressure sensor that's preset for WP:

http://ww2.lowrance.com/en-SG/Produc...sor-en-sg.aspx

Lowrance p/n #000-11523-001

It can be configured for other pressure apps as well.

11. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Ok... so the Lowrance/Evinrude NMEA interface cable is only 15' long. I may have to ad a 3' or 6' extension.

It is recommended not to go over 18' (signal loss). Has anyone done 21' ?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Ok... so the Lowrance/Evinrude NMEA interface cable is only 15' long. I may have to ad a 3' or 6' extension.

It is recommended not to go over 18' (signal loss). Has anyone done 21' ?
    Will it probably work. There are a lot of inexperienced G2 installers using the 25ft cable as a drop cable and most of the time it works just fine.

The standard is 6m(19.6ft) from the device (NMEA transciever) to the backbone, which doesnt mean the plug that your connecting to the NMEA network. Some devices have 1 or 2 feet of cable between the NMEA transciever and the plug that you plug into.

The 6m limit is not because of a traditional signal loss, its a bandwidth consideration. The amount of time for data to travel to/from the backbone through the cable and interact with the device is the reason for the length limit.

On networks that do not have a lot of bus traffic ultimately the data will still get where it needs to go but as more is being transmitted on the network is when it may start to be an issue. NMEA is a very robust system and without physical damage to the cables it usually take a lot to crash it.

It is best practice to always use the shortest drops as possible so i almost always terminate one of the network in the back of the boat and make connections back there.
    Last edited by Evinrude57; 08-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.

13. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evinrude57 View Post

It is best practice to always use the shortest drops as possible so i almost always terminate one of the network in the back of the boat and make connections back there.
    Here's what I have on the go:

Live 9 Carbon 12 Carbon 12 Carbon 12 Point 1 ’09 ETEC
    250 HO
    3’ 3’ 3’ 3’ Power 15’ 15’ to 21’
    Term T T 15’ BB ext T T T T T Term

It's the bolded column that I am concerned about.

14. Member
    I just did my new G2 and the factory NEMA cable which i think was 15' reached from my motor to my console on a 21' boat. Where you have multiple T's switch to a 4 gang unit. Much stronger connection and way smaller unit.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If you go with the nema water pressure sensor its not a plug and play your dealer has to hook up the laptop and make a few changes to the emm in order to use it.

16. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I just did my new G2 and the factory NEMA cable which i think was 15' reached from my motor to my console on a 21' boat. Where you have multiple T's switch to a 4 gang unit. Much stronger connection and way smaller unit.
    I'm not sure what you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    If you go with the nema water pressure sensor its not a plug and play your dealer has to hook up the laptop and make a few changes to the emm in order to use it.
    Thanks! I probably won't need to go that route, since my WP and Trim gauges are clearly visible on the lower sides of the steering wheel.

17. Member

18. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Thanks! I'll look into that!

Edit: Are these the same technically (low loss), or is the Simrad merely a more expensive version?

Simrad:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Simrad-N2K-Mic...04470714&psc=1

Ancor:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Ancor-Marine-G...sr=1-1-catcorr
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 08-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.

19. Member
    I believe so. They have the same number of pins. Most all of those connectors are interchangeable.

20. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    What a shite-show. I can't find any how to's on setting up a gauge page. Not even in the manuals.

Do I need to have the engine running to see the gauges on my C12 screen?

I used the 4 pin connector that sent info to my Actia gauges and now they are going wonky.

EDIT: I found this.... GAAAAAH!

https://community.evinrude.com/t5/Ow...ges/td-p/11663
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 08-11-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast