2009 TR20X3 with 2016 Pro XS Setup Problems?

I recently bought a 2009 TR20X3 that has been repowered with 2016 Mercury Pro XS after returning from a year long military school. The 2016 Pro XS has a Gen II Torquemaster Gearcase. It is rigged with an ATLAS 6 in hydraulic jackplate with a 4 in spacer.

When purchased in Dec 2018, the boat was rigged with a 27P Fury prop. Boat would run 70 mph at 5450 max RPM at the optimized jackplate setting. Any additional increase in jackplate height above optimized height resulted in pushing the nose down and decrease in speed.

Since this time, I have run multiple other props to try to attain recommended optimum RPM range for engine (5800 RPM+). Below is a list of props and outcomes experienced at the optimized jackplate setting. This data was captured in roughly the same boat configuration (weight) and roughly same environmentals within a 2 week period this Summer:

27P Fury: 65.5 MPH, 5450 RPM
    26P Fury: 66.5 MPH, 5500 RPM
    25P Fury: 64 MPH, 5600 RPM
    25P Tempest: 65.5 MPH, 5650 RPM
    26P Trophy: 64.5 MPH, 5650 RPM

Bottom line: I can't get to optimum RPM. The engine has been checked out by a certified Mercury maintainer that is the best I've seen in my 20+ years owning bass boats. This leads me to believe I've got a rigging issue.

In addition, the boat runs on the back pad, but seems to run flat (more like a Ranger) compared to the other Triton boats I have owned in the past, to include a 2009 TR19X3 with a 225 Pro XS. It just doesn't lift.

Another interesting characteristic is the boat ran 63.5 MPH down current (3-4 MPH) on Lake Pickwick, but ran 67 MPH into the same current.

Distance between aft edge of running surface (pad) to the front of the nose cone is 28 in (with cavitation plate parallel with pad). Using the Mercury equation, this equates to a 5 in height between the pad and the cavitation plate as a starting point for jackplate height.

I need help from those that have rigged a Gen II Gearcase on older boats. Although my setback is 28 in, is that enough? I may be focused on the wrong problem, so any help or advice is appreciated.

2. Member
    What motor do you have a 225 or a 250? You need at least 25" of set back so you should be alright with what you have. You should lose rpm's and speed in the summer because of the heat but your saying you lost speed but not rpm's. The X2 and X3 boats ride more like a Ranger than other models but dropping in pitch should have gained more rpm's back than it did. Since it's a 2009 have the gas lines been changed from the old red line hose to the new blue or black line EPA hose? If not that could be part of your problem since it can block the low pressure pump and cut down on fuel at high rpm's. It could be your tach isn't reading right also so you might have your guy check it to make sure it's OK.

To much prop for a TK II gear case, as they can achieve slip numbers as low as 5 percent on many setups
    What motor and do you have poles, how heavy a load do you carry
    25 Fury or smaller for a 250
    Your math is incorrect that setback would require less than 3.25

1. Level the engine “cavitation plate” with the keel of the boat (running surface, or “pad” on a bass boat) by using the power trim button. This measurement is best achieved using a digital level.

2. Measure from the back of the boat’s running surface (pad) to the gearcase nose cone in inches

3. Multiply that figure by 0.181

4. Using a laser or a straight edge, extend the plane the keel is on out to the gearcase.

The measurement from the top of the straight edge, or where the lazer contacts the gearcase, up to the bottom of the cavitation plate
    needs to be the distance you calculated using the
    0.181 multiplier.
    Last edited by lpugh; 08-02-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    This is a friend of mines boat, the motor is a 2016 250 ProXS, no poles and have had the fuel lines replaced. He borrowed my new 25P Tempest Plus yesterday and #'s were best 69 @ 5700 (smartcraft #'s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    What motor do you have a 225 or a 250? You need at least 25" of set back so you should be alright with what you have. You should lose rpm's and speed in the summer because of the heat but your saying you lost speed but not rpm's. The X2 and X3 boats ride more like a Ranger than other models but dropping in pitch should have gained more rpm's back than it did. Since it's a 2009 have the gas lines been changed from the old red line hose to the new blue or black line EPA hose? If not that could be part of your problem since it can block the low pressure pump and cut down on fuel at high rpm's. It could be your tach isn't reading right also so you might have your guy check it to make sure it's OK.

5. Member
    It showing 14% slip which is high for a Gen 2 lower normally it will give slip numbers down closer to 8% and high for a new tempest. He'll pick up 150+ rpm's in cool weather and a few mph but he should be turning 71-72 now. It's never going to be real fast because the X3 boats run more like a Ranger than a Triton HP hull. It could be the way he has the boat loaded.