mikesxpress

How about a little flesh eating bacteria in the Potomac???

Someone recently sent me a PM asking about going in the water at Colonial Beach and I told them I wouldn't. Maybe this reinforces my recommendation?

Man with ‘simple cut’ says he contracted flesh-eating bacteria at area beach – WTVR.com
    https://wtvr.com/2019/07/27/man-with...ting-bacteria/

2. Member
    Scary stuff. I was reading an article just a few days ago about some kayakers in Alabama I believe and one of them is fighting for his life over the same thing. They were in brackish water as well.
    Last edited by SteveD; 08-01-2019 at 05:18 AM.

3. Member
    I suffered a serious infection back in June from stepping on something in the water.....it's really no joke and my doctor told me about the infections people get in brackish water and it is quite deadly

4. Member
    That would have been I Mike. Luckily we came away unscathed. We did end up in the water briefly to get rid of a little brew, but I wore crocks while walking out there. I did have a open bug bite or two but they healed up and no fever or swelling after exposure to the water. So I guess we survived this time. To tell you I wasn't thinking about it would be a lie. One of the girls did cut her foot on a rock, but she seems fine too at this point and it was two weeks ago. This time of year the brackish shoreline beaches are at risk for higher bacteria levels for sure. Then add a little rain and runoff on top of 85-90 deg surface temp to the equation and it gets even uglier. I spoke to a local state entity that tests the water at Fairview and they said typically the shoreline beach areas are where the bacteria are higher and once you get off the bank a good ways the levels drop. I say take all due precautions and I don't think I will be doing it any more in the near future.

Why is it such a higher risk in brackish water opposed to a lake?
    Blue lives matter

6. mikesxpress
    Louis I'm glad it all worked out with no issues.
    I sort thru hundreds of rockfish during the summer in the saltwater section of the river and started using gloves due to the myco issue. In 2014 after a conversation with Dr Julie Ball in Virginia Beach who had contracted fish handlers 10 months prior and was still suffering from partial paralysis. Just not taking that chance. And I'm not getting in the river water either.

7. Member
    The other thing to remember now is dont put your line in your mouth to wet when tying knots. Older guys I know have been told by there dr's who are going thru throat cancer treatments a uptick in fishermen who dont smoke having throat issues.

8. mikesxpress